The Common Denominator | Teen Ink

The Common Denominator

By May_Leaf SILVER, Carrollton, Texas
May_Leaf SILVER, Carrollton, Texas

The Earth is more intricate and beautiful than I think we often deserve. Despite this, I find myself looking at these statistics of how many times we desecrate areas such as the ocean, the canyons, and even natural (but overlooked) beauties like fields and plains of our Earth. We even overlook our own people dying; according to the WHO, there are 4.2 million deaths every year due to exposure to outdoor air pollution. The common denominator? Humans.  

It’s insane.

Many sources say that 80% of marine pollution comes from land-based sources, such as agricultural run-off and discharge of sewage. The other 20% come from the marine based sources, from tourism to aquaculture.

Two-hundred and twenty. In numerical form, that’s 220. This is a significant number when you pair it with the other half of the statement: At LEAST two-hundred and twenty (220) million tons of plastic is being produced each year. This is 220 million tons (220,000,000) contributing to our carbon footprint, at least.

Despite this, the government continues to use their funding elsewhere, not even trying to combat this one piece of crucial information anywhere else.

We often forget that there is a natural process known as biomagnification. This biomagnification causes increased levels of toxins in a food chain as you go up the levels. You can see this often cited in birds, where their ailing health is often due to this process, but you can see it within humans as well.

We eat the same fish that ingest this run-off, these chemicals, and this plastic. We eat the same plants given these growth drugs. We eat the same cows who ingest grass that has pesticides, which run into our streams and oceans, and beyond. We continue to eat the same things these animals and plants are getting, so it’s a wonder how there’s not been an extreme epidemic of some foodborne illness yet. Even when rivers get contaminated by pharmaceuticals and mercury, we stay silent.

What can you do to combat these issues, though?

In reality, it may not seem like much. You’ll still use plastic, and everyone around you will still use plastic, and it’s difficult to make a full switch.

You can, however, talk to your government- local and state (and beyond!) and get them to listen. You can be relentless in your calling and emailing, and you can talk to organizations that help with the clean-up and prevention of this waste. The Ocean Conservancy is a nonprofit environmental advocacy group, for example, interested primarily in ocean clean-up and prevention. Then, there’s also Earthjustice, a public interest nonprofit based to protect people’s health, and they litigate environmental issues.

You can also still cut back on your plastic usages. Get a straw that is multi-use and easily cleanable. Use sunglasses not crafted from plastic, but from other materials. Know the sources of what you’re using. Even the small steps of not littering can still help. Even using alternative energy sources can help combat climate change and air pollution (which can contribute to other types of pollution, such as marine pollution.)

While we may be the common denominator to the pollution the Earth is facing, we can also be the common denominator to it recovering, and preventing further irreparable damage.

I've always been pretty passionate about environmental issues. To be honest, this isn't my best piece since I wrote it more on a tangent about how terribly we treat the Earth and it came from a place of anger and no sleep for more than 24 hours, but it's something I care about. I want to write more about this and maybe even hopefully get noticed so I can spread the word further to other publishers. I hope people will know it's okay to make a ruckus over what can seem like a small issue, and it's okay to seem 'silly' for using a metal straw, or a biodegradable straw, or even a plastic one- as long as you know what's going on. You aren't a criminal for being ignorant, or unable to make certain adjustments (especially due to health issues,) and I don't think people should be shamed for it. Now.... outright ignoring consequences certain usages of plastics and other materials is another story.