Animal Alert: What is Going On? | Teen Ink

Animal Alert: What is Going On?

July 1, 2011
By David.DZE BRONZE, Paramus, New Jersey
David.DZE BRONZE, Paramus, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."
Lou Holtz

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Yogi Berra

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.


It MUST stop!

Animal cruelty is a vicious thing. I mean, what DID the animals do?

Like, really people? Leave the poor creatures alone.

It is as if you see an ant crawling peacefully along the baseboard heating system of your house and EVERYONE IN THE NATION has the sudden URGE to SQUISH it!

I’m sure you are thinking, “If it’s not paying rent, it’s out ‘a here. It is my home, not the bugs’,”. Well, if you think like that I have something to say to you. WHAT THE HECK CAN THE TINY INSECT DO?

It probably wants to get out of your home itself – it has its own somewhere. As if being in a house with a homicidal creature killer isn’t enough, that is.

Talking about this crazy “Bad Bug” spree, even animal shelters are showing cruelty to animals for no reason. As a 1010 Wins article stated, a person named Emily Tanen expressed, “These animals are not being walked, sometimes emaciated dogs that should be fed three times a day aren’t being fed three times a day,”. Can this place get any WORSE?

Actually, and most definitely sadly, it can. Apparently the shelter is taking in many, many more dogs and cats than they can adopt out. “The shelter would make up excuses to kill animals,”

The kind of wacky humans who are taking innocent animal lives should learn a little something… what the word SHELTER means. I mean, they work at one, see the sign for one almost every day, and when answering the phone say “how can our shelter HELP you”. They should know what their job is by now…

But no – all that is not enough to go through the first layer of their big and bony scull.

I know animal cruelty is in a lot of places nowadays. The problem, though, is that the practice keeps growing WIDER. It really has to be destroyed.

In today’s age, there is even animal cruelty having to do with sports. Not only is it on purpose, but sometimes it is an accident.

According to a video online, animal cruelty arrived unexpectedly during a baseball game. A pitcher went through his wind-up and threw the ball toward the batter at home plate. Who would have thought something bad for animals would occur?

But low and behold! As the ball swept through the air about to be called a ball or a strike… a bird flew in the way.

The impossible became possible as the feathers of the bird went flying in a cloud and the ball moved to the side along with the bird’s bare body.

Animal cruelty, is it? A freak accident, but hey, it happened. You know what this teaches us? It teaches us that we never know when animal cruelty will go on and people always have to be on the lookout.

Oh, yeah. It also teaches that you’ve got to be careful. You never know when you’ll make a bird EXPLODE!

So here’s another evil whack-a-mole kind of guy that is being cruel to animals through sports. Don’t worry; it is not another ornithological accident.

As funny as it may seem, an online article told that a dog owner trained his dog, Coffee, to sit and hold a pipe in her mouth. The owner, Mr. Fernandez, and Coffee sit in front of baseball games collecting tips.

Many baseball fans are concerned about Coffee’s health. Some people suspect that Coffee is wearing a shock collar that keeps her up; although Mr. Fernandez claims that it is an ice collar that keeps the dog cool on hot days.

Others think that Coffee is being abused as well. Also, it is suspected that Coffee goes for hours without food or water. Talk about the twenty-seven percent of animal cruelty cases – the majority of them – that are categorized as “neglect” (http://www.youthnoise.com).

People are really abusive and it all has to stop. The statistic site mentioned before also states that seventy MILLION animals are killed in US labs annually and five BILLION US tax dollars are put TOWARD animal experiments each year. So we’re killing animals AND loosing money! Smart, right?

Even bees are being abused by being killed. Bees make honey, and with the decrease in population, honey is being lost.

My friend told me that even his GRANDMA is cruel to animals. She apparently shoots paintballs at squirrels when they pass her backyard. (Let me warn you now – the backyard is all orange polka dots now. Not a pleasant place for a picnic.)

Congratulations Grandma, you’ve just added to the thirteen percent of animal abuse cases that involve shootings. These cases have reached the “honor” of being the second most common.

My point is that animal cruelty in any way is extremely bad and should be terminated. Earth is already loosing many animal species fast, so let’s not SPEED IT UP.

Luckily some people in the world are finally learning how bad harming animals is. The state of Florida is close to making dog racing illegal.

From bugs to birds. From dogs to rabbits. From giraffes to lions. The terrifying act of animal harm is too great to continue. Sixty MILLION households in the United States have one or more pets in their possession. I’m sure they wouldn’t want their little Coca hurt.

It is time to end the hurting of species who can’t speak for themselves.

It MUST stop!

It WILL stop!


The author's comments:
I have very strong feelings about the environment. I love animals and creatures of all sorts. It hurts me to even just throw away paper or plastic that could have been recycled. Littering hurts me as well. You can tell I love the Earth. This piece of writing is about the creatures of the world.