Animal Abuse | Teen Ink

Animal Abuse

In today’s society many people view animals as nothing more than property. People feel that they have the right to harm, collect or starve animals because it’s “their” property. Everyday the SPCA has to save animals from horrific conditions and many times they are too late, and the animal must be euthanized. I have heard of horrible cases where animals are skin and bones, have been shot and are suffering form painful life threatening illness. I think that it is horrible how incompationate and selfish people can be. I think that it is the abusers, the community and the government who are to blame for this problem. For one, the abusers simply do not care that these animals are suffering. If you cannot afford or do not want to keep an animal there are shelters all over the country who are willing to help find your pet a new home. There is no excuse for allowing an animal to suffer. The community is also to blame because many times it is evident that abuse is going on and no one is willing to take the time to step forward and help out the animals in need. All it takes is a simple call to the SPCA and they will check on the animals and the owners. The last party to blame is the government. Many times the government gives abusers a fine and no marks on their criminal record. I think that if you cause an animal to die intentionally you have issues that need to be addressed and you deserve to be punished for your actions. The government really needs to give harsher punishments such as jail time and not allowing abusers to purchase more animals. If we all ban together we can save a lot of animals from abuse!

I love animals and I will always be an animal advocate.