The Obligations of a Planet-Dweller | Teen Ink

The Obligations of a Planet-Dweller

March 18, 2013
By SeekingStarlight BRONZE, Coventry, Rhode Island
SeekingStarlight BRONZE, Coventry, Rhode Island
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

One of the main issues that is routinely mentioned and debated in politics and the media is the status of our environment. We have developed resources such as wind turbines and solar panels as alternative sources of energy. Recycling is constantly expanding making it possible to reuse more materials while simultaneously decreasing the amount of trash stored in landfills. Despite these advances in technology, the main argument against environmental conservation, protection, and research regarding clean energy is the economic cost. Most people are apprehensive about funding these programs when the economy seems to have more of an effect on their individual lives than the obscure theory of climate change. However, we have to realize that there is a bigger picture to be considered that outweighs any financial burden. As humans, we hold certain obligations. We are responsible to take care of our planet so it is viable for future generations. Everything on our planet is interconnected and because humans are a part of this ecosystem, we must remember that our existence is dependent on our surroundings and other species. Through scientific research and the growing body of statistical evidence, we are aware of the harmful effects of pollution and climate change, along with how they affect our world. We are responsible to do everything in our power to hold off the impending environmental annihilation.

The fact of the matter is that we only have one planet. Earth is the only livable, oxygen filled, water enriched planet in our galaxy as of the present day. Concerning environmental issues, it is hard for people to truly want to protect the world when they personally are not being affected. Jonathan Franzen writes in “My Bird Problem”: “Even if I had had kids, it would have been hard work for me to care about the climatic well-being of their children’s children. Not having kids freed me altogether” (Franzen 55). Franzen is being ironic in this quote because he does have a deep concern for the environment, but often makes excuses to delay any personal direct action. However, this quote reflects the attitude of many people. It is difficult to show concern for the health and lives of those who will walk the planet when we are dead. We cannot see their faces or hear their cries. Those who have yet to be born cannot hold us accountable. When pushing environmental issues, we must be forethoughtful. The people of today are simply renting the Earth. We are borrowing the air to breathe, the water to drink, and the land to live on. Everyone has the right to use these resources accordingly to achieve prosperity. It is our sole responsibility to make sure that we leave our planet in as good condition as we found it, hopefully even better. People may complain about the way those before us destroyed the rainforests or dumped hazardous wastes in the oceans; but, future generations will complain about us. Until one generation steps up, this cycle will not be broken.

In modern society we discuss nature as an entity separate from people. This dismissal of nature portrays our species as having an egoistic mentality. Chronologically, nature was here long before humans evolved as a species. Whether acknowledging this fact or not, we are dependent on nature. Trees are necessary to convert carbon dioxide into oxygen for our lungs. Our bodies consist mainly of water and must routinely replenish this supply. Fortunately, our diet is varied for we are able to consume plants, mammals, birds, insects, fish and other organisms. People need to be reminded of the “intricate fabric of life by which one creature is linked with another, and each with its surroundings” (Carson 215). We are damaging this relationship of interconnectedness. It is selfish for us to destroy the environment when presently we are not the only creatures that call Earth home.

Those who are skeptical towards the extremity of environmental issues or the symbolism of nature as justification of an environmental mission should look to the facts. We do not have an endless supply of oil and other fossil fuels. We will run out of these resources, unlike alternative energy such as sunlight or wind. We need to be funding these technologies and advancing research before it is too late. The issue is not whether or not climate change is real or if our environment is in danger, since these facts have been proven through scientific data collections. We are not ignorant of the fact that our actions are harming our planet. Michael Bloomberg, mayor of New York City, writes of the 2012 presidential candidates, “One sees climate change as an urgent problem that threatens our planet; one does not. I want our president to place scientific evidence and risk management above electoral politics” (Bloomberg 2). Science has proven time and time again that climate change is real and that it will have a disastrous effect on our world. We are required to look at the evidence and base our decisions on the provided facts.

The reasons to conserve our planet and protect our home outweigh any financial burden that green technologies may present. The bigger picture is that we do not own the Earth. Our time on the planet is limited and other generations will come to replace us. Beyond that, we are not the only species to use the world’s resources. Our consciences cannot be clear regarding environmental issues if we refuse to make an effort to correct our ways. Material matters such as financial costs should not be preventing us from making our planet – the only thing that is seemingly immortal – a better place. Our generation needs to be the generation to step up and make a conscious effort to preserve the environment. There is no time like the present.

Works Cited
Carson, Rachel. “The Marginal World.” The Best American Essays of the Century. Joyce Carol Oates and Robert Atwan, eds. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2000.
Franzen, Jonathan. “My Bird Problem.” The New Yorker. August 8 & 15, 2005.
Bloomberg, Michael R. "A Vote for a President to Lead on Climate Change."Bloomberg.Org. N.p., 1 Nov. 2012. Web. 20 Nov. 2012. <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-01/a-vote-for-a-president-to-lead-on-climate-change.html>.