GMO's forbidden fruit | Teen Ink

GMO's forbidden fruit

April 2, 2013
By Desmothenes Locke GOLD, Cresskill, New Jersey
Desmothenes Locke GOLD, Cresskill, New Jersey
13 articles 0 photos 21 comments

What if I told you that everyday you could currently be killing yourself without even knowing it? You might roll your eyes at that, but most people I know avoid things like smoking and drinking because they understand the risks of doing those things. But what if I told you that something you believe is healthy is actually killing you? That dangerous thing is vegetables.

Before you take this is and run to your parents, telling them that you don’t have to eat your vegetables anymore, let me explain how vegetables might be killing you.

There is something more deadly than drugs and alcohol in the vegetables we eat everyday. It’s in almost all grown food we eat from corn to apples. Most people are blind to what it does; uneducated about its deadly effects. You could be dying from it right now, and you wouldn’t even know it.

GMO's, or genetically modified organisms, run rampant through our modern day grocery stores. Most people are not even sure what GMO's are, or what they do. Until recently, I was a virgin to the concept of GMO's. Most of you readers are probably newborns when it comes to GMO’s. I never realized that two thirds of food has some sort of GMO influence in it. GMO's genetically change food, unnaturally creating and developing more "effective crops." Monsanto (producer of GMO’s) and other companies in charge of GMO's claim that GMO's will dissipate poverty, poor crops, and other voluminous promises. But is that true?

GMO's haven't been in existence long enough for us to draw conclusions, but here are some things we can say for certain: No one has ever conducted a long term study about GMO's; meaning the long term effects are unknown. Companies add pesticides and herbicides to plants and crops to make them more resilient. Pesticides and herbicides are both poisonous to humans. In a study involving rats (which are genetically 96% the same as humans), GMO’s were shown to have negative effects on the rats. Basically, we humans are part of a science experiment and we don't know how it will end. I find this to be extremely disconcerting. You should too, because you are another test subject. Monsanto, despite claiming that GMO's are perfectly safe, constantly lobbies so that products don’t have to be labeled as being genetically modified. If GMO's are fine, why doesn’t Monsanto want those labels? If people found more out about GMO's, many would be against them.

The fact that Whole Foods is labeling GMO's is really a huge step forward. GMO awareness needs to spread, and that’s exactly what Whole Foods is doing. Whole Foods is a massive corporation and now hopefully other companies will be pressured to label food with GMO's .We don't know what GMO's can do to us, and it is important that people know that.

In twenty years, we could all be dead from GMO’s. Be careful young ones.


The author's comments:
I am human.