Three Cheers for Planting a Tree! | Teen Ink

Three Cheers for Planting a Tree!

October 13, 2014
By ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania
ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania
92 articles 0 photos 88 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You are only confined by the walls you build around yourself." "Follow your heart, but take your brain with you." "You were born to be real, not to be perfect."


Our planet's dying! I yelled to my bio teacher. Her eye's popped from behind her glasses, and a smart response sat on her lips, but she did not speak. She knew, as well as I, that I was correct.

Stop doing that, stop throwing your trash around! I told the lazy students in front of me.

"We won't have this Earth forever..." I cried. In my bed, under my sheets I let the silly tears spill. How could we be so cruel? What do people expect to happen in twenty years when we start to suffocate from a lose of trees? Or when our land-fills become to polluted and we can no longer find a place to throw away our trash?

That night I prayed to God. I asked him to forgive man-kind for being so cruel, so heartless. We've taken his beautiful creation and we've turned it into a sickening wasteland. Full of disease, full of death.

I asked God for some way, for some kind of sign. And when I woke up the next morning I was given more than that.

I was given hope.

Placed on my door step was a tiny packet full of seeds. The label read: Plant Hope.

Immediately I knew this was God's work, magical and mysterious all at once. But as I sat there, staring down at the tiny hope in my hands I wasn't sure what to do. Do I plant it, where do I plant it, how can I get others to help me?

And then I smiled: I'll do it at school!

That day in bio my teacher was passing out our test, smiling. She was in a good mood. After I zipped through my test I ran up to her desk and handed her the tiny package. She looked up at me, confused and yet interest shined in her eyes.

"I'd love to have the class plant these outside in the field." I whispered.

My teacher met my eyes and smiled, most joyfully. Together we got the class rounded up and signed out jobs for everyone. Some would water the plants, others would plant them, and etc. Within the next few days we had completely constructed an area behind the school that was completely dedicated to the trees that were planted there.

They grew.

They're still there.

And they shine a new light upon me each day the bus pulls up to drop me off.