Species Endangerment and Extinction | Teen Ink

Species Endangerment and Extinction

April 24, 2015
By d_miller13 BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
d_miller13 BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

To begin with, Animal Endangerment is a huge problem that needs a solution. Currently, there are about 1.8 Million plant and animal species on earth, and 40 percent of these species are endangered (Irvine, Pg. 8). Scientists believe that in 100 years, at this rate, over half of those life forms will become extinct (Irvine Pg. 8-9). Many things contribute to the extinction of animals and plants. For example, natural disaster or habitat change, but there is one main contributing cause; Humans. Humans have been the cause of many endangered species across the world due to pollution, overhunting, animal resources, and the destruction of habitat. It is time for change. The problems with this crisis are that animals and humans alike will suffer from the loss of a species. Animals will starve and become extinct as a result and humans will lose food and important resources from a species. If the world wishes to see and use the benefits of animals in the future, we need to conserve.
One of the main reasons that we must conserve as any species as possible is the disruption of food chains. Think of the food chain as a web, if a small, tiny, irritating animal like a mosquito goes extinct or critically endangered, it will cause every animal that uses them to also go extinct. If there are no more mosquitoes, bats will starve and go extinct. If bats go extinct, so will larger birds of prey. So, one species going out will cause a domino effect that will rupture and destroy an entire region of ecosystems. Ecosystems are relatively balanced, but when an animal population lessens in number, it becomes chaotic and unbalanced. According to “Science vs. Animal Extinction” “No species can survive without another; every species depends on another, including humans.”(Hunter, Pg. 6) If something like a cow or corn becomes extinct, not only will other populations shift, but humans will lose critical supplies, and our situation will get worse. Overhunting and poaching are large parts of this. Hunting as a whole is good and is an excellent way of getting supplies and keeping the animal populations in check, but if a species is not regulated, it can be completely wiped out. Look at the American Bison for example. In the mid and late 1800’s, the Bison population was almost extinct. The only factor that caused this was hunting. The frontiersmen literally hunted them into extinction. This could’ve been avoided by regulations and limits that people actually enforce and obey. Now, the American Bison population is relatively stable thanks to conservation and hunting laws. So, if we want any animal to survive, we need to be careful and selective about what we do to the animal and plant population.
Additionally, we need to conserve animals and plants for the benefits that they give us. A lot of the times, animals are poached for their supplies like hides, furs, or Elephant ivory. These are sold for a large profit, but are illegal for many animals and areas. Some might argue that doing this is okay and it doesn’t matter if a species goes extinct, but again, while hunting and fishing are essential, some groups of people will eventually kill off an entire species for their supplies, and then run out for good. So if we only conserved these animals instead of trying to get as many supplies as possible, not only will it help the animals, but eventually, these groups of people will get more supplies. We also get many medicinal supplies from rare plants and animals. For example, according to “Science vs. Animal Extinction” “The Rosy Periwinkle contains chemicals that are essential for cancer treatment.”(Hunter, Pg. 9) If this species goes extinct, many people have the potential to die. So, it is important to conserve these species of animals. If we wish to live, we must keep these species alive. Obviously we need many species of plants and animals for food, but there is one more thing we need form them. That is simple enjoyment. The world would simply be a much more boring place to live without plants and animals. Earth would be harder to understand and enjoy without many of the animals and plants that live here. So, to conclude, with the population decline in species of animals, not only will other species suffer, but humans will as well. 
Finally, there are many solutions to help keep species of plants and animals alive, and there are many common and easy ways to help the environment and save these endangered species. Chemicals, pollution, and humans in general have hurt many species of animals, but, if humans cut back on the unessential destruction of habitat, and pollution, the animal and plant kingdom might thrive again. There are many simple ways to help the environment. For example, be environmentally conscious, don’t litter, donate and volunteer at wildlife foundations and forest preserves, and most importantly, don’t overhunt, and obey wildlife and conservation laws. If people simply used common sense and followed these rules, the environment and many animal species would be better off. 
In conclusion, the endangerment and extinction of animals and plants is a problem. While some may disagree that it is an issue, the fate and extinction of animals and plants will ultimately decide the fate of the entire human race. If humans simply used common sense and obeyed the laws of conservation, animals, plants, and humans alike would be much better off. Again, if the world wishes to see the benefits of animals and plants in the future, we need to conserve.


The author's comments:

This was an editioral project for school to inform people about a controversial topic.