Animal Testing, Which Side Are You On? | Teen Ink

Animal Testing, Which Side Are You On?

By Auedrey BRONZE, Salt Lake City , Utah
Auedrey BRONZE, Salt Lake City , Utah

Do you have a pet? You count it as family, right? Because you love it like family. They’re there for you just as much as you’re there for them. Animal testing has been developed as long ago as 1920’s to make sure products, such as medicine and beauty products, are safe for us. Animals will go through as many tests as possible and the scientist will make sure that there are no bad reactions from the animals before approving products. Animal testing proves to be inhumane and not needed because animals can suffer and feel just like us and there so many other substitutes instead of using animals for experiments.

Animals can suffer just like humans do. Just because we can’t communicate with them and they aren’t to the mental capabilities as we are doesn’t mean that they don’t feel. English philosopher Jeremy Bentham wrote in the 1700s, "The question is not, Can they reason? Nor, Can they talk? But, Can they suffer?” Animal have been known and seen to cry and to feel just like any of us. So why put them through something we would call torture and abuse to a human? Animals can suffer and that’s why it leads me to my next topic.

Animal testing is just inhumane. Animals are commonly subjected to force feeding, forced inhalation, food and water deprivation, prolonged periods of physical restraint, the infliction of burns and other wounds to study the healing process, “97,123 animals suffered pain during experiments while being given no anesthesia for relief.” They just let the animals suffer while they test thing that might not even work. Animals testing is inhumane and also not needed so why keep it?

People may ask “How are we going to find other ways to test products” Animals testing is used to make products safe for us but there are so many other ways that would be more accurate “Artificial human skin, such as the commercially available products EpiDerm and ThinCert, is made from sheets of human skin cells grown in test tubes or plastic wells and can produce more useful results than testing chemicals on animal skin.” These alternative will be better for us then animals because animals are so different from us because their bodies can’t handle things that we use, and eat on a daily basis. If we are given so many betterways to do experiments why keep doing a way that isn’t always correct and isn’t needed?

The 3 reasons provided are why I think animal testing Proves to be inhumane, and not needed because animals can suffer and feel just like us and there so many other things that can be substituted instead of using animals for experiments. That’s why we should put a stop to animal testing and use the substitutes I have provided information about. 

I wrote about animal testing because i am a vegan an believe that animal testing is really wrong.