Eating Disorders Affecting Millions | Teen Ink

Eating Disorders Affecting Millions

By ckronlage BRONZE, Slidell, Louisiana
ckronlage BRONZE, Slidell, Louisiana

Eating disorders affect 30 million people in the United States today. Most people overlook these diseases and do not believe they are real. Common eating disorders include anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge eating disorder. Anorexia is the most well-known of the eating disorders and affects mainly young adult females but this disease still affects many people of both genders and ages. People that have this disease think of themselves as twice the size they really are, but in reality they are severely underweight. Anorexic people monitor their calories they take in very closely for they have a obsessive fear that they will gain weight. Another disorder, commonly known as bulimia, causes people to eat large sums of food all at once. The people affected by this disease eat until they are painfully full. Next, to compensate for all the food they ate they purge. They vomit, starve, and use laxatives to get all of the food they ate out of their system. Lastly, binge eating is a relatively new disorder. Instead of having a desire to be thin, the people with this disease have no desired body image. Individuals eat large sums of food just like in bulimia but they do not purge. Usually these disorders are triggered by traumatic events, dieting, and genetics. With lots of help from therapists these diseases can be cured.