What is Obesity and How can we Reduce it? | Teen Ink

What is Obesity and How can we Reduce it?

By Doris-Merko BRONZE, Tirana, Other
Doris-Merko BRONZE, Tirana, Other

Obesity is a lifestyle disease attributed to the extra accumulation of fat in the body leading to negative health effects on a person. This information is important because people need to know about type of disease which has big consequences on the human body. We have a lot of causes that lead us around many other diseases that are extremely dangerous, but also many options to reduce that. To control obesity, first we need to change our diet and to include more exercise.  
It has long been discussed whether overweight is a relative measure and should not be used as a stain to label overweight people. However, the fact is, when a person's weight significantly exceeds a certain norm for his or her age and gender, a person's health and well-being usually tend to worsen. 

Many genetic, physiological, and nutritional factors play a role in the etiology of overweight. Diet and exercise are known to play a key role in treating and preventing obesity and related disorders. We have many causes that lead us around with other diseases that are extremely dangerous. For example: hypertension, heart disease and diabetes. 

A basic principle of nutrition and metabolism is that the change in body weight is associated with an imbalance between the energy content of the food eaten and the energy spent by the body to live and perform physical work. To keep a stable body weight, over time, the energy received must be exactly equal to the energy spent. 

To reduce the obesity, firs we need to change our diet. We need to include in our lifestyle greener vegetables for example broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, kale, beans, etc. Regular exercise plays an indispensable role in tackling the obesity problem. Physical activity can be in any other form. It could be a favorite hobby like swimming, cycling, tennis, or meditation 

Obesity is the result of energy imbalance over an extended period. The cause of energy imbalance for everyone may be because of a combination of several factors. Individual behaviors, environmental factors, and genetics all contribute to the complexity of the overweight epidemic. Significant efforts are being considered in the scientific community to focus on each of these areas, but less effort to integrate between the fields!

Being overweight or obese is one of the most common reasons that children and teens are bullied at school. In fact, weight-based victimization occurs in school more often than victimization because of race, religion, or disability. Furthermore, the risk of depression and low self-esteem in obese children victims of bullying is essential after screening for BMI and other variables such as age, gender, and duration of overweight  

To conclude whether, you want to admit it or not, being overweight is a problem. We need to take care of our body by eating healthy and doing as much physical activity as possible while preventing many chronic diseases. We need to encourage people who have such a problem not to allow themselves to be bullied at school but to be encouraged. People are increasingly realizing that what they eat is important. You cannot put junk food in your body and be healthy. All sorts of problems can develop, like diabetes, heart disease, obesity, hypertension. (Sophie).