Star Polymers: A new way to combat bacteria | Teen Ink

Star Polymers: A new way to combat bacteria

January 28, 2024
By James159753 SILVER, Chiang Mai, Other
James159753 SILVER, Chiang Mai, Other
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A seemingly harmless cut on your finger can trigger a nightmarish chain of events, releasing millions of bacteria into your vulnerable internal world, which is a microcosm mirroring the vastness of the universe. Despite your body's valiant efforts to mount a robust defense, these microbial invaders multiply at an alarming rate. Each defeated adversary gives rise to two more, reminiscent of the mythical Hydra, resulting in an unrelenting onslaught. This hidden foe orchestrates a sinister campaign of internal devastation, leading to a sudden drop in blood pressure and the inevitable shutdown of vital organs. The yearly toll of 700,000 lives lost to antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections serves as a grim reminder that this is not a thing of the past. Alarmingly, projections from the World Health Organization suggest that by 2050, this number could skyrocket to a staggering 10 million, surpassing cancer fatalities.

Throughout human history, bacterial infections have been a persistent challenge. However, the discovery of antibiotics in 1928 seemed to herald the end of the era of deadly bacteria. Bacterial infections became seemingly insignificant, easily treatable with a simple course of antibiotics. Paradoxically, our overreliance on antibiotics may have unknowingly worsened the problem. Bacteria, being adaptable organisms, have gradually developed resistance to our antibiotics over time. These relentless antibiotic-resistant bacteria, commonly known as "superbugs," now pose a significant dilemma, as they have become increasingly resistant to our therapeutic treatments.

In the midst of this growing crisis, what options do we have in the face of declining antibiotic effectiveness? Thankfully, a group of researchers from the Melbourne School of Engineering may have discovered a promising solution. These researchers have developed "fundamentally nanoengineered antimicrobial peptide polymers," or SNAPPs for short. These star-shaped polymers are meticulously designed to specifically target antibiotic-resistant microorganisms, leading to their destruction.

Shu Lam, a leading researcher in this field, explains, "Microbes need to divide and grow, but our star-shaped polymers, when they adhere to the cell membranes, disrupt these processes, causing severe stress to the bacteria and triggering a self-destructive chain reaction." Remarkably, these star polymers have shown remarkable efficacy in eliminating a range of Gram-negative bacteria, including strains that have previously resisted traditional antibiotics. Furthermore, they are cost-effective and compatible with human cells, making them a compelling alternative to existing antibiotic treatments.

However, there is still a lingering question about the possibility of microbial resistance to these star polymers. Scientists argue that this is unlikely, supported by the observation of minimal resistance even after 600 bacterial generations. This is believed to be due to the multifaceted approaches employed by the polymers in targeting bacteria, creating strong barriers against the development of resistance.

While these star polymers have not yet undergone human trials and require years of careful research and development, they offer a glimmer of hope in a world grappling with the diminishing effectiveness of antibiotics.


The author's comments:

A new way to combat bacteria by binding with cell membranes.