Cystic Fibrosis | Teen Ink

Cystic Fibrosis MAG

By riley1516 PLATINUM, Lake Zurich, Illinois
riley1516 PLATINUM, Lake Zurich, Illinois

Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman

Slipping away without a purpose,
My name no one will ever know.
Before the ground turns frozen again I will have breathed my last breath.
My body will have matched the temperature of the frosty air.

Those suffering with cystic fibrosis also
Have begun to pull out their bucket lists,
Leaving this world in bitter sorrow, realizing on their deathbed all that they have missed.

Such a young age to give up hope,
But oh does our future look bleak,
Surrounded by oxygen masks and endless transplants,
Doing all that we can not to fall off the face of the earth.

An ocean of a disease, toying constantly with our health and emotions,
Trying to hold in our bitterness as others continue to breathe with ease,
Putting fake smiles on our faces as we try to swim up for air,
We break above the surface and then
finally disappear.

Its a tough life living with cystic fibrosis.

Im sorry to hear that it runs in your family.. its such a terrible disease.  I appreciate your comment also!

Thank you so much! All of your comments and positive feedback really means a lot! 

NicoleS PLATINUM, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal.
- John Lennon

that was a beautiful poem. i dont have cf, but it runs in my family and i lost 2 uncles to it and my aunt is currently living with it...i watch her firsthand, how it not only affects her respiratory health, but every aspect of her health as well. stay strong, & keep your head up! you have an amazing talent to pour your emotions into, so keep writing and never forget that!

paigeforeman GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible!"-Walt Disney
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
"Be the change you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi
"The truth is out there."-The X-Files

Wow, that almost made me cry. I love the last line, it's harrowing. Keep writing because you, m'dear, have talent!

goldmansharone GOLD, Boulder, Colorado

A different world cannot be built by indifferent people
What a miserable thing life is: you're living in clover, only the clover isn't good enough.
You'll never shine if you don't glow.
Selfishness is a horrible trait.

My friend has CF. It has always made me feel unfairly lucky. Yet, there are so many improvements with medicine that I hope we can find a quick, painless cure. 

SignGirl BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida

That was a beautiful poem! =D

It also almost made me cry.

thank you so much!

You should post your poem on here. Id love to read it. & thanks

f1ndmycure2013 BRONZE, -, Alabama

Just don't give up on trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong." ~ Ella Fitzgerald

You're welcome! Don't apologize for writing from the heart, that's one of the things that makes a story good and gives it great emotional kick. I wrote a poem about CF too, it's one of my longer poems, but all my friends say it's my best. Also, don't worry about the poem being a downer, we all have our tough times. Thanks for the luck, and I wish you the best of luck too. :)

Thank you! that means alot. sorry i wasn't trying to be a complete downer... I just have a lot of emotions toward cf.  best of luck to you!  I hope there will someday be a cure

f1ndmycure2013 BRONZE, -, Alabama

have CF as well and I can totally relate to this article. Reading it made me start to cry. Great job...