If You're Going to 'Do it", Be Safe | Teen Ink

If You're Going to 'Do it", Be Safe

By SydneyDavis BRONZE, The Colony, Texas
SydneyDavis BRONZE, The Colony, Texas

"Don't tickle it"
-Matt Veasey

As a parent, have you ever worried about your child getting pregnant, or getting a girl pregnant at a young age, such as in their teenage years?

One of the most current and effective problems in the United States is the number of teen pregnancies that occur each year. It is my opinion that junior highs and high schools should have birth control pills available to students who are sexually active, and like high schools, students in junior high should be enforced to take a health class.

I feel this solution is the best and most effective method to use because it sends an important message to teens: They should always be safe when and if they ‘do it’. It also helps teens to understand that sex, STDs, and giving birth is a very serious matter, and it not handled properly, could become extremely dangerous, or fatal, at an increasingly progressive rate. For example, some teens may not know about the unwanted, life-threatening STDs that may be spread by the slightest sexual activities, and therefore, the teens may assume there will be no later effect to them if or when they are having sex. For this reason, I believe health classes should be enforced at the junior high age.Birth control pills are also not available to students, so the chances of them getting pregnant are much higher when they ‘mess around’ and we may all assume their reaction will be, “I didn’t know,” or “You didn’t tell me!” I think it’s time to eliminate their excuses.

According to the Detroit Gale Group, the United States has the highest teen pregnancy rate of any western nation, with approximately 820,000 girls under the age of 20 giving birth each year. This causes them to be more vulnerable to having toxemia, anemia, and preeclampsia without proper care.

Some parents refuse to discuss sexual activities with their teens, because they are cautious of embarrassing themselves or giving the teen any ‘ideas’. Some parents say, “Keep your pants up,” to their child, and expect the teen not to wonder, get curious, experiment, or practice any form or sexual activities. But some teens do not understand the sincerity of the issue simply because their parent failed to clearly discuss sex with their teen. My solution, enforcing health classes, provides teen everywhere with the answer to their ultimate question: “Why not?”

“Congress should immediately stop funding for dangerous abstinence-only programs that deny teens information about how to prevent pregnancy, protect their health, and make responsible decisions,” said Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. “It’s time to put money towards real solutions that will help prevent unintended pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections among teens.” Her so-called “solutions?” Birth-control pills, condoms, and diaphragms, all which send an unmistakable message to teens: You have no self control. We don’t expect you to. We all know you’re going to ‘do it’ so just be safe when you do.

Some people have suggested canceling television shows that include sexual dialogue and behaviors that have no consequences. According to Lindsay Tanner, groundbreaking research suggests that pregnancy rates are much higher among teens who watch a large amount of television that includes sexual behavior and dialogue than among those who have tamer viewing tastes. “Sex in the City” anyone? That was one of the shows used in research.

I personally feel that removing television shows will not stop teens from having sex, but instead upset a lot of adults who thoroughly enjoy them. When it seems that most of my peers at the young age or 14 and 15 are constantly talking about ‘doing it’ twenty-four, seven, sex is not an easy subject to ignore, and I cannot imagine what is being said or at this point, done, in high schools. I think pregnancies could be avoided if the proper tools were available to us. All though you may think that birth-control and condoms may influence sex, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

One of the most current and effective problems in the United States is the number of teen pregnancies that occur each year. It is my firm belief, as a thirteen year old girl, that parents need to become more aware of the issues going on in their child’s life. It would really help us if you parents could become more sympathetic towards our feelings. I usually become a rebel when I’m having trouble with school, or on the soccer field with my team, and especially when I try to communicate to my family and they do not attempt at all to listen to what I’ve got to say.

Everyone needs somebody to lean on; a friend. We teens, need you, parents, to give us strength in our decisions, so we may chose abstinence. I hope I have given you a second point of view on teen pregnancy as well as your teen, and remember, “If you’re going to ‘do it’, think about what you’re going to lose. You can only have ONE first time. Be Safe.

Sydney Michelle Davis

I wrote this article / persuasive writing when I was in the seventh grade. Please tell me what you think. NO HATERS.

SydneyDavis BRONZE, The Colony, Texas

"Don't tickle it"
-Matt Veasey

:D JAKEEE!!!!!!!!!!

JakeRussell said...
Dang Sydney this is good. Wish you were still at my school

SydneyDavis BRONZE, The Colony, Texas

"Don't tickle it"
-Matt Veasey

thankyou so much!

.iloveyou. GOLD, Evansville, Wyoming

"There are but two certainties in life; death and taxes." Ben Franklin

I totally agree with everything you said. And even if you wrote this when you were twelve, it was extremely well written.

SydneyDavis BRONZE, The Colony, Texas

"Don't tickle it"
-Matt Veasey

I WROTE THIS WHEN I WAS 12