Choices | Teen Ink

Choices

By dancer15 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
dancer15 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

when the world sceams give up. hope whispers try, just one more time

Over 100,000 lives are saved in one year because of seatbelts. Wearing your seatbelt is the most important thing to do when you get a vehicle. Life is a precious thing; do you really want to die because you made a stupid choice? Is the last thing you want to see the highway?

No matter what age you are seatbelts will protect you. They are designed to restrict you on sight of impact. When in a crash they tighten and hold you back from making any back and forth or side to side movements, so your body isn’t sent flying across the highway. If you are overweight and “can’t” put on a seatbelt they have extension belts that you hook to your original seatbelt and it makes the belt longer so you can be safe. So there is no excuse not to wear one.

My moms’ life was saved because of a seatbelt. My mom has always been a fanatic about seatbelts, always checking everyone to make sure they had it on. She was a very smart driver. One winter morning when she was driving to work she hit an ice patch on the highway, the car shot across the four lanes of traffic and hit a barrier, which made a huge impact and thrust her body forward. That barrier and her seatbelt worked together to save her life. If there hadn’t been a barrier there she would have been open to any and every car coming at her. She made the best decision of her life that day. Right now she could have been out of my life. All in all…she is a very lucky woman.

Wearing a seatbelt is a simple, no brainer, use it. It will save your life just like it saved my moms’. Do you have loved ones that you would do anything and everything for? Do you want to see them again? They care for you and love you just as much as you love them. Put your seatbelt on, or you may never see another day.

It takes three seconds to click it into place. Those three seconds could be remembered for ever. It could be the best decision you have ever made in your entire life. Be a smart driver. Always wear your seatbelt.