My Schizophrenic Sister | Teen Ink

My Schizophrenic Sister MAG

By Anonymous

     My 13-year-old sister has schizophrenia. This is uncommon for someone so young. Usually the diagnosis is made when the person reaches adulthood, but my sister has always been one to get a jump-start on things. Although I am the older sister, she is often the one to take the first step, try something new, and risk it all. She learned to ride a bike when she was four, while I was too afraid to try until I was eight.

Our family has had to jump over our share of hurdles. My sister and I, as well as our younger brother, are adopted. We share the same mother, who was also diagnosed with schizophrenia (in addition to other mental illnesses), but we have different fathers. I have always considered my adoptive family to be my real family.

Our adoptive mother is no spring chicken and also has multiple sclerosis, which has made it extremely difficult for her to raise kids, never mind one who has a mental illness. Nevertheless, she has done an amazing job. Without her, our family would fall apart. She is the one who remains strong through all the hard times, but of course, she worries about my sister.

Since she was eight, my sister has wanted to be a boy. She likes boys and is not a lesbian. She is simply, literally, boy crazy. This is when there was first talk of her having schizophrenia.

The stereotypes that surround those with schizophrenia are often that the person is extremely violent and “walks around carrying a hatchet.” Schizophrenia is also often confused with multiple personality disorder, but someone with schizophrenia does not have two different people inside the head. A schizophrenic’s perception of reality gets distorted so that sometimes they hear voices or think they are a famous person, like Napoleon.

My sister’s particular distorted version of reality has to do with food. She believes she will become sick if she eats or drinks anything. When she is told that food is beneficial and will not harm her, she replies, “I know, but my mind is telling me that I’ll get sick. You don’t know what it’s like: I want to eat, but I can’t.” So not only is she schizophrenic, but she’s also anorexic. Being thin might have something to do with her obsession, but her psychiatrist explained that her mental illness could have been directed at anything. It just happened to be food ... this time.

I know that I am the one who will look after my sister for the rest of her life. We have eight older siblings, but none can deal with my sister’s craziness. So, I am in for a long and difficult life, but I am not complaining. I love my sister, and along with being the craziest person I know, she is also the sweetest. She is quite intelligent, which people do not always see because they focus on the abnormalities of her personality. When I was in first grade, I would practice addition and subtraction with my mom in the car. Sitting upon her throne of knowledge (a.k.a. her car seat) my sister would answer while I was still counting on my fingers.

I have laughed with my sister and cried for her. I have played dress-up with her and watched as she swore off dresses forever. I have flung food at her during food fights and have tried in vain to get her to drink a measly cup of water. I have hugged her and hurt her. I have told her stories and listened to the stories she mistakes for reality. I love her, and I will always hate hearing people jokingly say they are “schizo” or refer, in jest, to those people who are plagued with this illness. That is what it is - an illness - like cancer or Alzheimer’s. It is an illness that should not be shunned or made fun of but understood and, eventually, cured.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 102 comments.


on Nov. 16 2011 at 8:07 pm
TheWhiteFlower BRONZE, Greenville, South Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books. ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

May God Bless You!

Nikki509 said...
on Nov. 16 2011 at 6:06 pm
I went to positive step to and this story as changed the way i like of the illness

byebye said...
on Nov. 16 2011 at 5:34 pm
byebye, Nevermore, Other
0 articles 0 photos 250 comments

Ok...I don't know what you're trying to say or why you're saying it, but in the context it is disrespectful. Is it honestly necessary to write some ridiculous hallucination on a page about mental health? This was a beautifully written article and you are not being respectful of this person's views and feelings.

Sheesh.


on Nov. 16 2011 at 3:25 pm
Brokenness_is_Beautiful SILVER, Independece, Louisiana
6 articles 3 photos 77 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is so ironic to understand fully, it takes sadness to know what is happiness. noise to distinguish silent and a broken heart to find true love.

You remind me of someone, a long lost friend. Her name was Bree, her sister was schizophrenic, too. We met at a Postive Steps camp(a camp for children who have been adopted) when we were probably 11. Your article was beautiful and inspiring! You should be proud of yourself!  

on Nov. 16 2011 at 2:26 pm
TrueDreamer SILVER, Ottawa, Other
6 articles 9 photos 62 comments

Favorite Quote:
Shoot for the moon and even if you miss you land amongst the dazzeling stars!

I just wanna say besides this article being brilliant, that you are an inspiring person and one of the everyday heros or heroines that often go unnoticed and that makes you very special <3 

KatyPie97 GOLD said...
on Oct. 25 2011 at 10:29 pm
KatyPie97 GOLD, Eatonville, Washington
14 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
We're going to need a bigger boat

This is a truly amazing piece. God Bless you for sticking it  out with your sister. I hope that you  can have a prosperous life while you take care of your sister. I sincerely think it is absolutely amazing that you can accept that you will be the one to care for her, and you don't whine or complain or resent the poor kid. God Bless You!

on Oct. 25 2011 at 7:19 pm
Victoria.S BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Someday you will look back and know exactly why it had to happen."

This was a very beautiful piece of writing. Stay strong and God bless!

Darksun2012 said...
on Oct. 25 2011 at 11:35 am
That is so sad god bless u :p

Bambi67 SILVER said...
on Sep. 11 2011 at 10:57 pm
Bambi67 SILVER, Chicago, Illinois
9 articles 1 photo 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
remember that the future comes one day at a time.
Dean Acheson

i reall enjoy reading this piece, you are very strong. god bless you!!!

on Sep. 11 2011 at 6:19 pm
Cameandgonesmarty ELITE, North Vancouver, Other
225 articles 4 photos 239 comments

Favorite Quote:
"One day, your life will flash before your eyes; make sure it's worth watching."

You really touched my heart with this. I wish ur entire family the best and you just gotta believe that things will get better. 

My mom always said that kids who were born with a problem on earth (be they big or small) will be amongst god's angels once we all leave this place.

It's all temporary anyway, isn't it?

We just gotta help those with these problems have the best life possible until we're all set free.

Keep strong

with

No Regrets


3modudeXD said...
on Sep. 4 2011 at 2:05 pm
Hello, my name is Hallelujah and I'm just commenting be cause I also am what people call a schizophrenic and I'm also a teen and Ive been on the net searching for answers to this curse. I just wanted to tell u I thx for being a human and not a streotipical douch bag. I wish your sister the best life.it just seems like we are limitied buy Thease disorders.:( well it don't matter cuz u gave me some hope sis XD thx

kre101 SILVER said...
on Aug. 20 2011 at 1:31 pm
kre101 SILVER, Holt, Michigan
6 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
To the world you're just one person.. But to one person you may be the world

You are a very loving and strong sister. :)

on Aug. 16 2011 at 8:56 pm
Woopsies, just re-read what I typed and made a lot of mistakes. Saw Ree; Just very emotional. And, I blame it on carpel tunnel...LOL!!!

on Aug. 16 2011 at 8:47 pm
Hi. My BEAUTIFUL SON IS SCHIZOPHRENIC. HE WAS DIAGNOSED AT THE AGE OF 16. Thru so many obstacles, and more hurdles we are dealing with him. He is almost 20 now and has just come back home to live in San Diego. I can not let him stay in my home for fear that he will one day stop his meds like last year and become violent. But, the most important thing to remember is that he is so beautiful, smart, talented, docile, funny, when he laughs he makes the whole room laugh, when he can say something it puts a smile on your face. He will be using a doctor at UCSD this time around and I hope it makes a difference because the last time he lived with me we would walk and walk and walk and this time, he doesn't want to walk anywhere, he can only be out a few minutes without him feeling worried or threatened. Luckily, I can remember the days when he was normal and fun and energetic. I remember the night that he needed a sweat shirt and a trail of cars followed his down our culdesac so that he could get a sweatshirt. When he was 15, all of the girls wanted to go to the Fall dance just with Colton and I had to hire a Limo; the picture I took was of Colton in the middle and 10 girls one each side of him. I think and hope and hope that he can remember who he used to be and not become who his thoughts want him to be. It is so heart wrenching and emotional. I wish all the best to you and your sister and hope that the future is bright and pleasant. RIGHT? Because right now, I am in a dark whole and am unable to see the light of where this is going? I want my baby back.

KairiL SILVER said...
on Jul. 30 2011 at 12:56 am
KairiL SILVER, Milpitas, California
8 articles 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine. and for one; just once, understand."-Anonymous

Wow. I never knew about this. I'm glad you had courage to tell people about this. Please tell your sister that she is amazing and to hang on just a little longer. You must be a great sister.

on Jul. 29 2011 at 8:56 pm
toriroxsoutloud BRONZE, Welsey Chapel, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 12 comments
My best friend has schizophrenia and hes one of the nicest smartest guys I know.

on Jul. 29 2011 at 8:40 pm
ohheyyyelli SILVER, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
5 articles 3 photos 178 comments
You are such an amazing person. I wish the best for you and your sister.♥

on Jul. 7 2011 at 9:22 pm
Danealle SILVER, Wheeling, Illinois
7 articles 0 photos 119 comments

Favorite Quote:
Anything is possible with a smile and goal in mind.

God bless you for what your doing

Wringer BRONZE said...
on Jul. 7 2011 at 7:12 pm
Wringer BRONZE, Arlington, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments
This is awesome, and totally true, and really seems as though it could be an eye-opener for others who don't have mental illness, or even someone who is just interested in the topic. Personally, I have several mental ilneesses (depression, bipolar, supposedly schizophrenia, and anger (although I don't know the medical term for it)) I enjoy how you don't sugar coat the topic of mental illness, but don;'t make it seem TOTALLY hopeless. Thank you for posting this :)

gleek1234 GOLD said...
on Jul. 7 2011 at 6:43 pm
gleek1234 GOLD, Burlington, Vermont
17 articles 0 photos 130 comments

Favorite Quote:
You did let me go you left me broken and heartless, crying out for help, with no one to answer my calls-Shilpa Pierpont-Hale ( poem) Love hurts

... Wow... That's all I can say is wow!! My mom when she was a doctor before she got alshimers worked with people who had what your sister had ( I can't spell that word) but she never talked about what living with the diesese is like for someone!! This is truly amazing I commend you!! You should win some kind of writers Award for this oh my god I was on he verge of crying I want to give you a Giant hug and thank you in person!! You rock and tell you sister Shia amazin too!! Stay strong