A Declaration (with thanks to Thomas Jefferson) | Teen Ink

A Declaration (with thanks to Thomas Jefferson) MAG

Whenin the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolvethe smelly bonds which have destroyed millions of lives, we shall declare whycigarettes shall be banned. In decent respect, although smokers show not an iota,we shall proclaim the causes which impel us to this disjointing.

We holdthese truths to be self-evident, that all men are created smoke-free, that theyare endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to not become consumed bydisgusting cigarettes. Cigarettes have become destructive to the health of ourpeople; it is now the Right of the People to abolish them. The reasons for thechange are not minute and inconsequential; if remaining unchanged all that besubjected to any form of cigarette smoke are more disposed to suffer. Not onlyare cigarettes utterly destructive, but cigarette manufacturers have hidden howbad they truly are from the people of this planet. In order to verify this, letthe whole story be submitted to an otherwise blind humankind.

They haverefused to let us know about the ammonia in cigarettes, making our brains absorbmore nicotine and causing us to become addicted.

They have added licoriceand cocoa that, when burned, act as bronchodilators so that nicotine is passedfurther into our bodies.

They have accounted for, at the least, one infive deaths in America; giving smokers ten times a higher risk than non-smokersof getting lung cancer and twice the risk of dying from heart disease; forcausing chronic lung disease, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, stroke, pepticulcer, osteoporosis, cataracts, cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, pancreas,kidney, bladder, uterus and cervix; as well as possibly contributing to leukemia,cancer of the breast, prostate and colon. They have interfered with the healingof wounds as well as fractures.

They have destroyed even nonsmokers,causing coronary heart disease, lung disease, cancer, heart attack, low birthweight, sudden infant death syndrome, bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, chronicrespiratory problems, eye and nasal irritation, and ear infection.

Theyhave attacked innocent children, who have the highest risk of being contaminatedby the effects of second-hand smoke. Babies in their mothers' wombs are notshielded from the harm; miscarriage, stillbirth, premature birth, lowbirth-weight, and lower intelligence all result when mothers smoke or are aroundsecond-hand smoke.

They have created extra brutality in the world; malechildren whose mothers smoked during pregnancy are more likely to becomecriminals.

They have addicted people everywhere; 70% of high-schoolseniors who burn cigarettes on a daily basis will still be smoking five yearsdown the road. Those who have smoked as few as 100 cigarettes becomeaddicted.

For making it impossible to enjoy a meal in a restaurantthat allows cigarette smoking.

For making us smell like a colossal,nauseating cigarette after coming in contact with second-hand smoke.

Forperhaps helping destroy what is left of our dear ozone layer.

For makingbillions addicted.

For the fact that 30-year-old people look like they are60 because of severe swelling in the face and wrinkles that cigarette smokecauses.

For making blameless bystanders, nonsmokers, sick from second-handsmoke.

For not allowing us to breathe unsullied air.

For makingpeople of our world have upsettingly malodorous breath and begrimed,urine-colored teeth.

For destroying not only our bodies but our homes aswell (second-hand smoke makes the walls dingy).

For making us watch ourfriends and family members breathe their last hacking breath; (cigarette smokekills more than AIDS, murder, suicide, fires, alcohol and illegal drugs ...combined.)

For all these reasons ...

We, therefore, in the name andby the authority of the first-rate people of our world, solemnly publish andproclaim that these United States are, and of right ought to be, Cigarette-FreeStates. And, for the support of this Declaration, with a firm confidence on theprotection of our lives, we mutually pledge to each other clean bodies, freshbreath and sweet-smelling restaurants. When in the course of human events, itbecomes necessary for one people to dissolve the smelly bonds which havedestroyed millions of lives, we shall declare why cigarettes shall be banned. Indecent respect, although smokers show not an iota, we shall proclaim the causeswhich impel us to this disjointing.

We hold these truths to beself-evident, that all men are created smoke-free, that they are endowed by theirCreator with the unalienable right to not become consumed by disgustingcigarettes. Cigarettes have become destructive to the health of our people; it isnow the Right of the People to abolish them. The reasons for the change are notminute and inconsequential; if remaining unchanged all that be subjected to anyform of cigarette smoke are more disposed to suffer. Not only are cigarettesutterly destructive, but cigarette manufacturers have hidden how bad they trulyare from the people of this planet. In order to verify this, let the whole storybe submitted to an otherwise blind humankind.

They have refused to let usknow about the ammonia in cigarettes, making our brains absorb more nicotine andcausing us to become addicted.

They have added licorice and cocoa that,when burned, act as bronchodilators so that nicotine is passed further into ourbodies.

They have accounted for, at the least, one in five deaths inAmerica; giving smokers ten times a higher risk than non-smokers of getting lungcancer and twice the risk of dying from heart disease; for causing chronic lungdisease, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, stroke, peptic ulcer, osteoporosis,cataracts, cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, pancreas, kidney, bladder,uterus and cervix; as well as possibly contributing to leukemia, cancer of thebreast, prostate and colon. They have interfered with the healing of wounds aswell as fractures.

They have destroyed even nonsmokers, causing coronaryheart disease, lung disease, cancer, heart attack, low birth weight, suddeninfant death syndrome, bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, chronic respiratoryproblems, eye and nasal irritation, and ear infection.

They have attackedinnocent children, who have the highest risk of being contaminated by the effectsof second-hand smoke. Babies in their mothers' wombs are not shielded from theharm; miscarriage, stillbirth, premature birth, low birth-weight, and lowerintelligence all result when mothers smoke or are around second-handsmoke.

They have created extra brutality in the world; male children whosemothers smoked during pregnancy are more likely to become criminals.

Theyhave addicted people everywhere; 70% of high-school seniors who burn cigaretteson a daily basis will still be smoking five years down the road. Those who havesmoked as few as 100 cigarettes become addicted.

For making itimpossible to enjoy a meal in a restaurant that allows cigarette smoking.

For making us smell like a colossal, nauseating cigarette after coming incontact with second-hand smoke.

For perhaps helping destroy what is leftof our dear ozone layer.

For making billions addicted.

For the factthat 30-year-old people look like they are 60 because of severe swelling in theface and wrinkles that cigarette smoke causes.

For making blamelessbystanders, nonsmokers, sick from second-hand smoke.

For not allowing usto breathe unsullied air.

For making people of our world have upsettinglymalodorous breath and begrimed, urine-colored teeth.

For destroying notonly our bodies but our homes as well (second-hand smoke makes the wallsdingy).

For making us watch our friends and family members breathe theirlast hacking breath; (cigarette smoke kills more than AIDS, murder, suicide,fires, alcohol and illegal drugs ... combined.)

For all these reasons...

We, therefore, in the name and by the authority of the first-ratepeople of our world, solemnly publish and proclaim that these United States are,and of right ought to be, Cigarette-Free States. And, for the support of thisDeclaration, with a firm confidence on the protection of our lives, we mutuallypledge to each other clean bodies, fresh breath and sweet-smelling restaurants.