The Skinny on Young Girls | Teen Ink

The Skinny on Young Girls

May 16, 2008
By Anonymous

Anorexia mostly affects pre teen and teenaged girls. They get this way because they have a giant fear of being fat. They hate to eat in public. They don’t notice it because they still see themselves as being overweight.
Young girls involved in sports like dancing, theater, and gymnastics are often pressured to be thin. Gymnasts often think that developing hips and other body features will mess up their performance. Some young girls even start to train as young as when they’re toddlers.








Christy Henrich was a top gymnast in the 1980’s who died from multiple organ failure because of her battle with bulimia and anorexia. By doing this young girls don’t know how it will affect them when they’re older.

Most of them won’t ever be able to get pregnant, because they are too
thin to produce children. If they do they could suffer from miscarriages and premature births. Men also suffer from anorexia. They make up about one million of the eight million people living with anorexia.

Bulimia is another form of anorexia. People will binge eat and allow themselves to throw up everything that they eat. Doing this can cause major damage to the esophagus. They go to all-you-can-eat restaurants and stuff their mouths until their jaws hurt. Excessive vomiting like this can cause injury to the teeth.

When anorexics use drugs like laxatives and diet pills, they don’t help them with trying to reach their ideal weight. First you start to notice a minor weight loss but the pounds will eventually come back. They only reduce your appetite for a short period of time. But the user is already hooked to the drug and afraid to get off, thinking that the pounds will start coming back. Most girls get their views from the celebrities in Hollywood.
Paula Abdul had a very public battle with bulimia, she checked herself into a clinic in 1994. Kelly Clarkson, the first American Idol winner, battled bulimia for six months then learned to love her full figured body. Princess Diana even came out and admitted she wasn’t comfortable and no amount of money and jewelry could comfort her. Oprah Winfrey has admitted that food was always a comfort for her and made her insecure about her weight. Mary-Kate Olsen battled with bulimia and dropped down to a low 86 lbs. After denying reports that she was anorexic she finally checked herself into a clinic.
Not all stars maintain this stick skinny image. Beyonce is an example of a star that loves to flaunt her curves. She was quoted saying “It gets easier to be confident about my body as I get older. I realize who I am and deal with it.”

Jennifer Hudson is another curvier star. In Us Weekly she was quoted saying “I celebrate it, I’m unique around here. Everyone else looks the same.” She also got her start on American Idol. She won an Oscar for her role in Dreamgirls along side Beyonce. “A lot of singers don’t sound the same when they lose weight. So you’re all just going to have to get used to my jelly,” she says proudly.

Tyra Banks also has a full figure body. In 1997 Tyra Banks was the first black woman to appear on the Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover. Now 10 yrs. And 30 lbs. later she recreated it. Critics talked about her saying how big she had gotten. Tyra responded on her talk show saying she didn’t care about what they said and she was comfortable with her body. America Ferrera the star of Ugly Betty is also a young star who is comfortable with her normal sized body. Hopefully most young girls can look up to stars like these.