Myth Vs. Fact | Teen Ink

Myth Vs. Fact MAG

By Anonymous

   Many people believe certain myths. Many of the myths are actually half truths, proven incorrect over and over again by scientists. So, believe half of what you hear and even less of what you read.

A common myth today is: don't go swimming for at least one hour after eating a large meal. Many scientists have tried to find out why not, and still have found no reason. If you do eat before swimming, plan on eating sensible foods, high in carbohydrates to keep you going.

Another myth: don't go outside with wet hair because you will develop a cold. Wet hair does not cause a cold. Rather rhinoviruses cause more than two hundred different colds, which are spread by sneezing, coughing and shaking hands. As we grow older we develop an immunity and don't have to worry about these viruses.

Another common false statement is: if you read in dim light, it will cause you to need glasses or even go blind. Neither is true. Reading in dim light may result in a headache, but not loss of vision, proven by pediatric ophthalmologists.

Many parents also believe that sugar causes hyperactivity in their children. Many of the doctors at the Children's Hospital in Los Angeles traced a link between children, food and the environment. Children usually eat sugary substances on special occasions, such as Halloween, birthday parties or at a friend's house. These environments usually excite children and then sugar is consumed by the child.

Many people think eating healthy means avoiding red meat, another false myth. They see it as high in cholesterol and fat. The truth, says C.J. Valenziano of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, is that moderation is the key. Only half the fat in beef is saturated, and the Baylor College of Medicine found that beef works as well as chicken in lowering cholesterol. tf