Stepping Stones to Recovery | Teen Ink

Stepping Stones to Recovery

By Mishamigo DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas
Mishamigo DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas

We accept the love we think we deserve.

For all those struggling with personal problems such as an anxiety disorder, self harming, suicidal thoughts, eating disorders, or some other kind of destructive action, I’m here to give you advice on recovery. A lot of people will say that they don’t want help, and sometimes this is true, but other times it is just a plea for help. If you’re reading this, you’re either very curious or you’re going through something.

The first stepping stone is admitting that you have a problem. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, actually, if you’re going through an obstacle in your life that you feel you can’t face alone. The majority of people usually do go through something that they need help with at one time or another.

The next step, and definitely the most important, is to open up. This is the hardest, by far. You don’t have to go directly to your parents if you’re scared to talk to them, but go to someone. Maybe a close friend could help you, or possibly a school counselor. If you have a teacher that you’re particularly trusting of then you can even talk to them. It doesn’t matter who you talk to, just as long as it’s someone you trust and they will help you to get better.

Sooner or later your parents or guardians will find out about whatever it is you’re going through and even if they yell or seem angry, they are probably just worried about you. There is a thin line between anger and fear with adults and their children. Calmly explain to them the situation as best as you can and listen to them if they offer you advice. Statistics even say that 51% of teens are afraid of talking to their parents about personal subjects.

Last but not least, the road to recovery is hard. You might have relapses, and that’s okay. Don’t give up. Don’t lose faith. In the end, it’ll all be worth it. It’s a long and difficult road but happiness is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Stay strong, my friends. :)