Teen Pregnancy | Teen Ink

Teen Pregnancy

May 20, 2014
By elizabethlovesyou BRONZE, Indinapolis, Indiana
elizabethlovesyou BRONZE, Indinapolis, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Fifty percent of teen parents never graduate high school (The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy). Most parents think that their child will wait till or on their wedding day or adulthood to have sex, but that’s not always the case. I believe that if teens would wait till their adults, talk to their parents, or use better protection then there would be fewer children without parents or teenage parents that don’t know what they’re doing.

Teen parents are more likely to have children with poor education and bad behavior because they’re not wise/old enough to understand the good of education. Children with poor education will likely be a slow learner and might fall behind on the other kids in class (Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.). The child would need extra help on things and may just not care. They might think that they shouldn’t care about school because their parents didn’t care. If parents talked to their children about sex and the up/downs about sex then there would be fewer teens with children or STD’s.

When some teen girls get pregnant, their boyfriends will leave them and won’t want to help take care of the child. That leaves the child with no father and the mother with no one to help her buy the things she will need like food, diapers, clothes, etc. Some children who grow up without parents, or grow up in an orphanage, will feel not loved or might lead to depression.

The choices that teens could make are either keeping the baby, or adoption. If you give a baby up for adoption then they will most likely have a better family to take care of them.

You can get an STD, and if you have an STD then there is a nine out of ten chance that your child will get that similar disease. If your child gets an STD when born, there are treatments and medications they can take to get rid of it but it may not go away or it may possibly come back. You can get very sick from this disease, and it may lead to death. Sometimes you can see and feel the STD. If you have a disease and you’re going to give birth then you should inform the doctor so they can give you a C Section. A C Section is where the doctors make a little cut on your stomach and get the baby out from there. (The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy)
This is why you should wait to have sex or use protection. Schools must have more sexual ED classes to prevent teens from having unprotected sex or getting pregnant. I also wrote this to inform parents on why they should talk to their children about why they should wait because no parent or teen wants an unplanned pregnancy.


The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this essay because i wanted to inform teens to not have unprotected sex or sex at a young age. I also wrote this to inform parents on why they should talk to there childeren on why they should use protection or have unprotected sex.