Junk Food Sold in Schools | Teen Ink

Junk Food Sold in Schools

By injeongyang BRONZE, Winnipeg, Other
injeongyang BRONZE, Winnipeg, Other

Tell me it's impossible. I'll prove you wrong.

Many schools in North America support having junk food in their schools. I do not support having junk food in our schools. Junk food means food that is high in carbohydrates, sugar, fat, calories, sodium (salt) and low in nutritional value.

Obesity is becoming a problem in North America. I believe that this could be changed if junk food was not sold in schools. We cannot change what children eat at home, yet we can try to imprint the thought of healthy food in their minds. By selling healthier foods, we can make a difference. Instead of chips, low-sodium crackers could be in substitution. Instead of soft drinks, white milk, chocolate milk and low-sugar juices could be replaced. Putting the thought of healthy food in children's' minds will help North America to have a lower obesity rate. Many people believe that children should choose their own way. They think that parents are the ones responsible for their children. They believe that schools should have a choice between healthy food and junk food. A parent's child (ren) is everyone's concern. During school hours, where do children spend their most time? It is at school; therefore, schools must stop selling junk food.

I realize that cafeteria and canteen funds go towards school activities that might not happen if junk food was not sold. I also realize that healthy food can be more expensive. The problem would be to either raise the food price or have a lower profit. However, in exchange for a little bit more expensive choice instead of unhealthy children, I would definitely lean towards the more expensive healthy food. Schools are all about learning and making good habits. Good habits are found in eating habits as well. Fundraising can be done other ways as well. There are book sales, dances, craft sales, etc. If only school board members would open their minds to other options, we would have a healthier community.

Many children are prejudiced about the idea of healthy food. As soon as a person utters the word, they almost immediately think of foods that they do not like. We must change their minds. Healthy food can be tasty as well. Fruits, vegetables, healthy drinks, crackers and fat-free or sugar-free treats have many choices that are healthy and sufficient for the children of our generation. If a child does not like a certain type of vegetable, another one is always in option. Changing a child's way of thinking about healthy food will help to stop the junk food binging.

This is why I think that junk food should not be sold in schools. School is there for children to prepare for their futures; food is a big part of our future, so why not change it for the greater good? Hopefully school boards will see this and comprehend what my statement is: junk food should not be sold in schools.

I wrote this piece after we studied debating at my school. This was one of the topics and I found it quite interesting to see how my classmates and teacher reacted to the information. This article shows what I believe should happen.

This is only sixth grade! WOW!

injeongyang BRONZE, Winnipeg, Other

Thank you very much! This was written in the sixth grade, so I'm hoping my writing has improved somewhat! I'm glad this helped you to some extent.

Boyd2253. said...
This is a very good article. Though most of your sentences were too simple it was a vey helpful source for my essay. Good work