An Open Letter To All Those Who Self-harm | Teen Ink

An Open Letter To All Those Who Self-harm

By marium.nawal28 SILVER, Dhaka, Texas
marium.nawal28 SILVER, Dhaka, Texas

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, courage is the quiet voice, at the end of the day saying, "I'll try again tomorrow."

Dear beautiful friend,
It’s 3 a.m. and you can’t sleep. The pillows are already soaking wet with your silent tears and the silent screams could break free at any moment. There is a tingling sensation in your chest as you try to deny the pain. In that moment, right then, the hidden blade beneath your mattress seems oddly inviting.

Dear broken sister,
It’s 2 p.m. and you’re sitting in a restaurant, laughing with your friends, talking about anything and everything. Suddenly, your eyes fall upon that happy, cozy couple in the corner, taking selfies and feeding each other and abruptly, a rush of memories overwhelm you and that cigarette your friend had been smoking is suddenly so very welcome now.

Dear kind brother,
It’s 8 p.m. and you’re out with your friends, sitting in a room, laughing over the most random things; and before you know it, your friends are talking about their love lives and no matter how hard you try, you cannot suppress the flood of memories and the pain of unrequited love. And suddenly, that red little pill the other friend had been talking about doesn’t seem so bad anymore.

Dear loving son,
It’s 12 a.m. and your phone is switched off. It’s her birthday today and everyone is posting such sweet things about her...things you always knew in your heart but didn’t realize until she was gone forever. It’s her birthday but you are no longer welcome. And that bottle of whiskey she used to tell you to stay away from is your only solace tonight.

Self-harming is easy, isn’t it? It’s so easy to give in to the temptation, isn’t it? You can’t hurt the people who hurt you, so you hurt yourself to drive the pain away; but for what?

Dear girl,
He doesn’t love you anymore. If he did, he would be here beside you, not making excuses about why you two can’t be together. He doesn’t understand that the letter you curved on your arm, which will go away never, wasn’t to gain his sympathy or his love. He doesn’t understand that the cuts you make on your skin are only so you can forget the cuts on your heart. He doesn’t understand that those countless pills in the middle of the night are the only things that stop the never-ending tears when your body starts shaking and you can’t breathe.

Dear boy,
She is gone forever. She doesn’t understand that you smoke yourself high so your heart will stop accelerating at the mention of her name. She doesn’t understand that you spend night after night, hiding your unshed tears because “big boys don’t cry.” She doesn’t understand that you only drink yourself into oblivion so that you don’t drown in her thoughts.

When you are self-destructing yourself, they are out there, laughing with someone else. They’ve forgotten what you used to feel like. They don’t remember the sound of your laughter or the texture of your hair or the feel of your arms. They stopped missing you a long time back. Don’t you think it’s finally your turn? At least to just TRY to put down the blade and lock up your heart because you, you deserve so much more than the one who trampled over your heart. You deserve to be loved and cherished and you’ve already given them the power to break your mind and your soul. Don’t you think it’s time to at least take back the power they had over your body too?

marium.nawal28 SILVER, Dhaka, Texas

I am so glad that this made a difference to you. I think a lot of us do this. I now it feels like a great pain-relief but I guess it's good to have a little reminder now and then that this isn't the right way. @AmbiBambi12

Depressed-Weirdo-4 BRONZE, Goose Creek, South Carolina

The alphabet begins with ABC, the numbers begin with 123, music begins with do-re-mi, and friendship begins with you and me.

my friends do it so...

thank you....this helped me....