A Single Tear | Teen Ink

A Single Tear

By (=amanda=) GOLD, Somerset, Ohio
(=amanda=) GOLD, Somerset, Ohio

I run wildly through the woods, knowing I have to keep going, or They will get me. Though, I don't know who They are. I look back and groan, seeing the dark figures emerging through the forest.

As always, I startle awake right then, tears brimming on my eyes. Blurrily I look at the clock. Half past two. I try to go back to sleep, in vain attempts. Finally, I go to my desk and grab my flashlight.

I sneak out of my window, the cold air rushes to nip at my cheeks. I walk up my driveway, and of course, I take a right. Briskly I make the twenty walk to my place. The place I go to get away, the one no one knows about.

Expertly, I find my favorite spot in this beautifully frosted meadow. I've been here hundreds of times, so I could do this blind folded.

I kneel, the sit cross-legged. I let everything rush to me in my mind, just like its been threatening to do all day, every day. I think of my uncle's death, missing him. Then thoughts of my dad pop into my head, telling me and my younger sister he didn't want us. I can't help but picture the heart-wrenching look on her face. All my worries, frustrations, and sadnesses attack me. My insecurities, my inability to be loved and all the heartaches I go through.

I fall back, and look up at the starlit sky. I sit for a minute, letting all of it, every last bad thing, flood over into my eyes. All the pain creates one, single stray tear, that slowly spills over. That's all I allow.

I get up, dust myself off and make the dull, seemingly forever-long trip back to my house. Slipping into my warm room, I once again think of my sister. I breeze to her room, to find her sleeping. Silently I apologize to her for everything she's been put through, too.

A flashback pulls me to a couple of days ago, when I was hugging her while she cried. "It'll all be okay. I promise, I'll be strong for you, and try to protect you from everything I can."

I quietly back out of her room, reminded why I have to stay strong.

This is a true story that happened a few nights ago... so that was my inspiration. This is my first short story, so PlEaSe leave comments!!! =)

rawr5 said...
wow this is BEUTIFUL!!!!!

keep writing:)

and be strong,i know that it's hard sometimes

ssophiaa GOLD said...
ssophiaa GOLD, Falls Church, Virginia

"You cannot operate from a concern of how you're perceived."
--Kevin Kittle

That's so sad! I love the writing style. This almost made me cry.