Feedback to Body Language | Teen Ink

Feedback to Body Language

By AshleyLiu SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
AshleyLiu SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Body Language, by Emma Seybert was intricately crafted and I could sympathize to her situation. Her memoir recalls an event where she was seen by her weight, as “fat,” which evoked her into undergoing self doubt and growing insecurities. However, a few words of comfort “... you are a strong and beautiful woman…” seems to heal the buildup of all past insults. While the memoir sends a provocative message about identity and self image, i feel the resolution is unfinished, and in all honesty, unrealistic. Insults are compared to knives at her body, and words of encouragement are compared to salve. If slowly, these insults had been eating away at her, how could simple salve help heal wounds that had dug deep? On a personal note, insults can hurt, and can inflict self doubt and a lower self esteem. But ideally, when, if not from the initial insulter, these encouraging words, compliments, or all positive aspects seem to pass by. People, or perhaps just I, get surrounded by a dark cloud of negatively and have an ignorance to the light around us. Eventually, the rays of light penetrate, but a few simple words can’t fix a problem that has been surrounding your every thought. Healing takes months, and the author doesn’t seem to acknowledge this. The memoir is an eye opener teaching readers to refrain from insults that may hurt ones image, but seems ignorant to one’s healing from a continued bullying.