Review | Teen Ink

Review

By tfrederick23 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
tfrederick23 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

The writing titled “Mother’s Day,” written by Maddy Veatch, talks about Maddy on Mother’s Day without her Mother. After reading her story this made me feel extremely thankful and very lucky to still have my mother with me. 

This short story, “Mother’s Day”, hit me hard even though I still have a mother who loves  me and cares for me. It really made me realize how lucky I am to still have a mom who is healthy and loving. Maddy Veatch states, “When my mother was diagnosed with cancer, nobody expected a kind, loving, young woman to lose her battle with this aggressive illness.” This specific statement is what made me realize that sometimes I take my mom for granted, when people such as Maddy do not have a mom to care for and comfort her. Maddy Veatch also states, “Children snuggle up to their parents and are held so tightly by the protective arms of their moms. I sit solemnly on a pew…” This is so saddening to me, but this story made me realize that I need to look at the bigger picture in life, because of kids like Maddy who do not have any more time with their mothers.