Feedback on "Dear Legged People" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Dear Legged People"

January 24, 2015
By ScreenName098 GOLD, New York City, New York
ScreenName098 GOLD, New York City, New York
10 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -Dr. Seuss


        "Dear Legged People", by Alejandra Marquez is a powerful, emotional poem that gives great insight into what it feels like to possess a disability. From people's unnerving gazes to the emanating pity they give off, Alejandra strongly sets the borderline between a "disability" and being "disabled". She openly voices her thoughts to those still blessed with legs, wishing to be treated the same as any other person. She does not want to be given lower expectations for her capabilities just because she must remain in a wheelchair. The author also emphasizes how society has built itself in such a way that defies those with physical incompetency, but in reality, people living their lives on wheelchairs are no different from those with functional legs.
        This poem has truly opened my eyes to realize how everyone is just the same, no matter if they can walk on their own two legs or have to stay in a wheelchair.  I can further understand that those with disabilities were not given a choice; they were forced to suffer from great misfortune. This piece has also made me realize how people are extremely prone to misjudging others based on first impressions and appearances. Society often neglects those sitting on wheelchairs, immediately deeming them unworthy, without taking the time to look past their disability and view them as a character, not an object. As Alejandra stated, "The fact that I'm only as tall/as a five-year old/doesn't mean you have to speak to me like one." The writer uses her stupendous writing in order to convey a potent message to readers, for this piece of writing has really broadened my perspective on people's disabilities.