Feedback on "Ashamed to Be American?" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Ashamed to Be American?"

April 26, 2015
By sophiea1025 PLATINUM, New York City, New York
sophiea1025 PLATINUM, New York City, New York
21 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." Dr. Seuss


        Although very well written, I disagree entirely with the article “Ashamed to Be American?” by Delaney Davis. It is an outrage that she debunks her own country. Meanwhile, immigrants flood through our gates with tears in their eyes, grateful for the privilege to be American. Not only is Delaney outrageous, the absurdity she writes demonstrates the complete ignorance of today’s generation.
       In the introduction, Delaney accuses Americans of being “egocentric” and argues that patriotism is, in reality, “sinister.” I would like Delaney to name a country that she finds fairer, more advanced, and more morally just than the one she was raised in. Not only is this argument utterly unreasonable, it is an insult to the people who founded America to create an ideal, fair nation and separate church and state. What repulses me most is that Teen Ink, a nationwide magazine, publishes such an offensive article. Delaney obviously has no idea how many people immigrate every day for freedom and an opportunity to achieve the American Dream. I would be truly ashamed to show this article to my first-and-second-generation immigrant friends.
       Delaney further contradicts herself when ranting about how racist Americans are. She screams out “hate crimes,” accusing the police from the Brown, Gardner, and Rice incidents of brutality and prejudice. Today, if a black man attacks a white police officer and is killed, mobs call racism. When do we hear protests about white men shot on the street? Today’s generation must see the light. Those who do are afraid to speak up in fear of being accused of prejudice. When Delaney claims “racism is still prevalent in our society,” she disgraces the entirety of the Civil Rights movement. She claims that America’s heroes and activists have made no difference whatsoever in our “cruel” and “corrupt” government. This sickens me.
      Delaney’s well written yet outrageous article, "Ashamed to Be American?" was a mistake of judgement in terms of publishing. The ideas she proposes are ridiculous and do not earn a place in the “points of view” column. I am ashamed for this magazine, especially since it is read worldwide. I suggest Teen Ink select more rational articles for future publication.


The author's comments:

A proud American!