Feedback On Guilt (two years later) | Teen Ink

Feedback On Guilt (two years later)

By Maria_The_TMNT GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Maria_The_TMNT GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Guilt (two years later)" by Maya Caulfield is a poem about as the title says, guilt.  And not just any guilt that you can rid of by confessing your wrond doings but a guilt that seems never ending.  The poem begins with a statement of someone dying and the narrator trying to recall what they were doing when they missed their call minutes before.  This poem stood out to me because the regret in the narrator's tone because they didn't answer that call is so evident within those few stanzas.

This poem made me realize that you should cherish those around you and go out of your way to make time for them even though it doesn't seem like it will make a difference in your life or theirs.  The line " you died at 8:00 on a Wednesday morning" is so eeire because it made me wonder who died?  Was it suicide or were they in a dangerous situation?  Could it have been prevented if the narrator answered the call?  I love this poem because there is so much emotion withibn the poem that I can feel the narrator's guilt and regret as if I had experienced what they felt.