Your Little Sister | Teen Ink

Your Little Sister

By skylilly SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
skylilly SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

The piece that I am reviewing is "Your Little Sister" by Kimberly Yang. The article is about Kimberly being forever in the shadow of her older sister. The relationship between the two has suffered compared to the relationship they had as children. The author authentically describes how she is so accustomed to being in her sister's shadow and living up to her legacy that Kimberly doesn't know who she is outside of her community. Yang is learning how to be herself, whoever that is, without having to live up to a legacy that she was forced into.

I can relate to this piece because I do have an older sister with a similar age gap as Kimberly and her sister. My sister an I did go through a phase where we didn't talk as much because we didn't have anything to talk about. We're both at different stages in our lives and even though my sister dos go through the things I was currently going through it wasn't the same. I also held a bit of resentment toward her because of the bar I had to reach in order to be somewhat 'worthy' of being her younger sister. It was a strained time in our relationship similar to Kimberly and her sister's situation. A line that especially stood out to me in the article is, "I scour my mind for something to say, but in the end, the same words always tumble out." This line brings back memories to the curt phone calls shared between my sister and I. It also makes me glad that although we did go through those issues, I somehow did figure out who I was besides a little sister.