Second Life | Teen Ink

Second Life MAG

By Cabbages SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Cabbages SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Dear Laura Hood,

Please apologize this instant. I was having a nice day, reading Teen Ink from the comfort of my bed, when I stumbled upon your story “Second Life” in the Summer Issue. I had been reading “Smart Money’s on Blue” by Meg Gerlek (an amazing and lively piece, by the way) when your story caught my eye, and like a fly ensnared in a spider’s web, I was drawn in by your deceivingly poetic concept – reincarnation.

It sounds sappy and hipster-ish and overused, right? Wrong. This bad boy packs a punch. With its flighty and impulsive main character, Ricorda Avant, the reincarnation of a murderer, and the seamless transitions from background info to flashbacks to plot, your flash fiction had me captivated from start to finish.

And that’s the problem: it ended. With a cliff-hanger! And for the first time ever, I wished that Teen Ink was written by adults, because then you would have an agent and a publisher breathing down your neck for a sequel.

How could you leave me hanging like that, Laura? How? Is Ricorda looking for answers? Or is it revenge? Will Ricorda seek redemption or will he snap and fall into his past life’s ways? Who killed him in his past life? Was he really just a murderer in his first life or is there more to it? I need answers, Laura!

“Second Life” is without a doubt one of the best short stories I have read in a long while, and I need more!

Sincerely, A Distressed Reader

Sliced_Bread BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
Omg congratz on getting this published and thanks again!

Sliced_Bread BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
Thanks again! A little easter egg for you: the original title was Vengeful spirit.

Cabbages SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Oh gosh, I didn't think anybody would read this, but I'm so glad you did! I'm not kidding when I say your piece is AMAZING. Seriously - I made all my friends read it (they might hate me now because I kept shoving it in their faces, but come on, this story is to good to be hindered with formalities). Please, please, PLEASE, make a sequel! I don't think I can handle living in a world where there is no sequel to this - and while you're at it, maybe definitely consider writing professionally, 'cause DAMN! Thanks for everything Laura - for writing "Second Life," and for actually considering making a sequel after reading two paragraphs of me pleading (begging) for one. You're seriously the best Laura - or should I say, Sherrif_of_Trashtown! Cool name, by the way. ...haha, guess who just realized that they said your story is "too good to be hindered with formalities" after writing a semi-formal letter to the author. It's meee. Good Luck Surviving School N' Stuff!

on Jun. 23 2016 at 10:19 am
Sliced_Bread BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
Okay this makes so much more sense now that I re-read my piece. I didn't notice until now that the editors changed my ending slightly to make it more of a cliffhanger. They deleted the last paragraph/sentence "Revenge would be sweet." So @Cabbages I'm sorry for that and I hope it answers a bit of your questions.

Sliced_Bread BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
Oh my gosh you have no idea what this means to me I could not thank you more for what you said. At first I thought you were gonna say you were offended by something in my piece, but to know you went out of your way just to say something about my piece is just completely mind-boggling to me. I'm absolutely floored. As for the cliffhanger, let me tell you, you're not the only one. As I mentioned in my author's note, the piece was something I wrote for my English/GT class and my classmates had just about the same reaction. And with all that feedback I'm seriously considering adding on to it but to really do the story justice I'd have to write an entire novel and I'm not up to that just yet but maybe I'll make it a series of short stories. Thank you again for taking time to read my piece and hopefully I'll get to writing again soon. (I procrastinate.)