My Brother Is Gay | Teen Ink

My Brother Is Gay MAG

I found out last year that my brother is gay.

I think my brother always liked me best of my other siblings. He let me tag along with him to Boston, even to New York once. When he was broke around the holidays, he still managed to give me a gift. We have always had a special closeness. We could really talk to each other.

When I found out he was gay, it didn't change my feelings about him at all. Just because he isn't what most people would consider normal, why should I love him any less?

My brother being gay doesn't bother me. What annoys me is when people joke about gays. I'm sorry to say my friends are guilty of this. They don't know my brother is gay, so they don't realize they're hurting me when they make fun of homosexuals. Even my boyfriend, who I always thought was so unprejudiced, teases gays. One of my teachers once said, "Teenage boys make fun of gays because they are beginning to recognize their own sexuality." I hope this is true. It would be terrible to think that we were is going to grow up to be biased leaders.

Please think about my story the next time you are tempted to joke about gays. They are not bad people because of their sexual preference. If someone close to you were gay, would you disown him? I certainly hope you answering "yes" to either of these questions. Remember, we are all made equal and homosexuals are no exception to this rule. n

Lucy_RK GOLD said...
Lucy_RK GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Yeah, it doesn't matter how you mean it. It still hurts people and you should probably not use words that are offensive to others.

lkk4209 BRONZE said...
lkk4209 BRONZE, Somewhere, Massachusetts

"April Fool's Day is for amateurs. You never need an excuse to mess with people's heads."

"I may be lying in the gutter, but I'm staring up at the stars, honey."

I disagree with your statement. Simply pointing something out is not "encouraging" it.

lkk4209 BRONZE said...

I read this story several months ago and really enjoyed it. What print issue was this published in? The last time I checked this hadn't been in the magazine.

ScienceLover PLATINUM, Colden, New York
That teacher is encouraging the boys to make fun of gays by giving the boys an excuse.  

ellabella said...
ellabella, Dayton, Ohio

"Life has no meaning anymore does it?"

Im really happy that you are supporting your brother. I, myself stick up for LGBT, because I am openly bi and I don't want others to be down for their sexuality.

stephie95 PLATINUM, Tripoli, Other

YOU ARE MORE THAN RIGHT... GOOD ARTICLE

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

Well, I have g a y friends and they're fun to be with. I'm not against LGBT people. What if I found out that I myself am LGBT? Would I disown myself? Not realistic... Great article!

andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
i have an aunt who is a lesbian. i love no less. i loved your article, completely true!!! i understand how that can be hurtful when people say those things but just remember they are your friends!!! they don't meen it directly  to your brother and if they do they aren't your friends! 

kenzie011 BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington
This is very true, i'm not ashamed. and i wish people didn't crack jokes also.

kaylyn451 said...
that was an amazing story.

BlackKittie SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
its still offensive...theres no "different context"....you may think of it that way but its not...

paperflowers said...
paperflowers, Imaginary, Indiana
Good message, but some of your grammar was very confusing. 

MosoSem GOLD said...
MosoSem GOLD, Maseru, Other

"I'm beautiful in my way, because God makes no mistakes, baby I was born this way!", Lady Gaga.

I totally agree. People claim of how'christian' they are, treating all humans the same without any prejudice. Just an unseen fault to the world we live in.

jdeluca GOLD said...
on Jun. 4 2010 at 12:48 am
jdeluca GOLD, Bedford, New York
im a teenage boy and when me and my friends use words or phrases such as "faggot" or "that's so gay" it isn't because we hate gays... we are using words originally referring to homosexuals in a different context. I know they can be hurtful sometimes but when teenage boys say that it isn't because we are all bad people that are going to grow up to be like a Joseph McCarthy and start a "Rainbow Scare"...

timealley said...
timealley, Land, Other
That's so sad. I'm glad you are sticking by your brother. Good job, hopefully your friends and boyfriend will learn from you, and stop making such horrid jokes. Good job.

nolongerinuse SILVER, San Antonio, Texas

“Love has no desire but to fulfill itself. To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving.” - Kahlil Gibran

Great Work! I always hate it when people say "that's so gay", especially when they say it to insult things I like.

pinksage33 BRONZE, Woodstock, New York
This is really good.

jmac2592@aol.com, Mineral Ridge, Ohio
awww thats so great :) being gay myself, its great and inspiring to see others out there being acceptant. It warms my heart. And have you know that you are a pretty great person for your acceptance. Just keep in mind that times are changing and people are becoming more acceptant as homosexuality is becoming more and more talked about.

Locke said...
Three cheers, author. Keep your head up. Things ARE getting better, and it's great to see that filial love wins out in the end.