Dancing Fingers on Ivory Keys | Teen Ink

Dancing Fingers on Ivory Keys

By Dakota_Mayo PLATINUM, Torrington, Wyoming
Dakota_Mayo PLATINUM, Torrington, Wyoming

Shiny keys or rusty keys, out of tune or in tune, old or new, a piano is a piano.

Whether you are playing in a concert, in church, or just for fun, piano is one of the most
musical instruments. If you want to know how to play piano, then musicians must know about treble clef, bass clef, and about common hand positions

Bass clef would be the left half of the piano where you will find most of your left hand to be playing. Sometimes your right hand can move down from treble clef to bass clef. Therefore having both your hands playing in bass clef. You may also find the bass clef to be called F-clef. Line notes on a bass clef include the keys: G, B, D, F, and A as the line notes. Line notes are the notes that you will find on the line and on the staff. As for the space notes, the keys are: A, C, E, and G. space notes are notes that you will find in the spaces between the lines on the staff. The sign for bass clef will look similar to a 9 with a colon in front of it.

Treble clef would be the right half of the piano where you will find most of your right hand to be playing. Even though your right hand plays in treble clef doesn’t mean that your left hand can’t play in treble clef as well. In some musical pieces, both of your hands can be playing in treble clef. The treble clef may also be known as the G-clef. The line notes on the treble clef are: C, E, G, B, D, F, and A. the notes for treble clef are the following: D, F, A, C, E, and G. the sign for treble clef will somewhat look like a & sign but without the colon looking symbol in front of it.

Then are three common hand positions. The first most common hand position is C Position. C Position is where you have your right thumb placed on the middle C key and your pinky on the G key, while your left hand is an octave lower with your left thumb placed on the bass C key and your pinky placed on bass G key. Another hand position is Middle C Position. With Middle C Position, your right hand would be in the same place as it were if you were playing in C Position. But as for your left hand, your left index finger would be placed on the B key, which would be right next to your right thumb, and your left pinky would be on the F key. Your left thumb should not be placed on any key on the piano. The last most common hand position would be G Position. Your right hand for this position should remain in the treble clef. Except for this time your right thumb should be on the G key, which is the key that your pinky would be on if you were playing either Middle C Position or C Position. So therefore, your right pinky should be on the D key. Now with your left hand, it is the same except you would be an octave lower, in the bass clef.

Those are the basics on Treble clef, bass clef, and hand positions for beginning musicians. The more advanced you get in playing the piano, the more hand positions and notes you will learn for the piano. No matter where you play or what you play for, a piano is a very musical instrument. No matter the condition of the piano, a piano is still a piano.