Coming Out: Being Bisexual in a Small Town | Teen Ink

Coming Out: Being Bisexual in a Small Town

By MissMegz18 SILVER, Florala, Alabama
MissMegz18 SILVER, Florala, Alabama

BY: Megan Wilkinson

I AM BISEXUAL!
This is what I told my best friend of nine years during a tornado drill while sitting in the hallway of our crowded, igneous school. It came up casually when we were naming celebs we were infatuated with. I asked her if she thought any female celebs were attractive, she blushed and named a few. That's when I made my confession, "Well," I said, feeling my heart beating in my throat, "I'm bisexual." I looked at her waiting for an 'ewe', but she just smiled and said, "Really?" I knew then that coming out wouldn't be that hard, but I was wrong. I never thought what others at my school, who are definitely intolerant to any "gay activity", would think of me. A fear manifests when I catch myself checking out other girls, including my extremely attractive Home Economics teacher.

Finding any comfort in much desired information in my library is scarcely in number. In fact,a law passed in Alabama in which any books depicting gay or lesbian subject matter would be immediately pulled from all school or public libraries. I was shocked and angry. Thus furthering my fear of being my true self, a sixteen year old bisexual young woman. How can I be proud of who I am when I have not one book nor confidant in my town to confide in?

Being bisexual is a challenge, as one can imagine, especially when my parents are old generationalists. Coming out to my dad was easy, but my mom, who wants me to have children, is against lesbianism, whether she is willing to admit it or not. However, my dad is against gay marriage, which I strongly advocate. He believes the ultra-conservative close-minded mantra of: Marriage should be strictly between a man and a woman. Which has to be the most degrading statement if I ever heard one.

It is a shame, I can let complete strangers on My Yearbook and Face book know my orientation, but I can not on My Space because than my secret will be all over school. Everyone in my tiny learning establishment has an account on My Space, therefore anything personal written in a blog...or bulletin can be the next days gossip thread. I guess that's what being in a small town will do. ]-:

MangoMadness said...
I'm not gay or les, but I have always wholeheartedly supported gays, lesbians, and bisexuals. I support the marriage and the books. YOU ROCK!!! :)

TheRazorBladesLatestVictim BRONZE, Bowman, Georgia
1 article 1 photo 1 comment
sweetie i understand how hard i is to come out living in a small town !! but it will be a inspritation to any person confused about their sexuality.. it took me 2 years to even tell my bestest friend and i still havent completly told my dad.... i guess thats the hardest part huh?

katieboo132 said...
I really like this article... and it's completely true..I am bisexual and live in a small town to. I have only told a few people and it was the hardest thing. My town has made being gay, lesbian , or bisexual out to be some kind of horable thing.. people are so close minded it really sickenes me. It's hard to not be able to be yourself in fear that you will be basically isolated from a town and people you've known all your life. anyways great article and hope you all the best.

DoLL_F@C3 said...
DoLL_F@C3, Memphis, Tennessee

"FORGIVING YESTERDAY, LIVING FOR TODAY, NOT WORRIED BOUT TOMORROW." Doll

you are an inspiration to many people who are still finding out about their sexual orientation and where they stand in life

maza.love GOLD said...
maza.love GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
Good for you. Except yourself for who you are. Every person is special. And remember, it's just high school. In the real world, you'll find more open-minded people.

ladedadee said...
thats terrible that books about gays and lesbians are banned! one of my friends is bi in a small town and he was telling me how hard it was to come out. it is much easier said that done, but i think that if you were open about being bisexual, it would take a huge weight off of your shoulders

zfcastle said...
This article was moving. And inspiring. I completely agree with everything you have to sya in this article. I support you 100%.