Golden Year for Golden Change | Teen Ink

Golden Year for Golden Change

January 21, 2019
By megantang BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
megantang BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
3 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Shock. Disbelief. Excitement. Those were the emotions that punctured my mind when my dad asked me if I wanted to watch Crazy Rich Asians. To say I was shocked is an understatement because I nearly fainted. Ever since my good old “Harry Potter” days, my eyes have been glued on YouTube or Amazon Prime. And for the next seven years, I never stopped begging my parents to take me to the movies--which either resulted in a no or a 30-minute lecture about its “irrelevancy”. My parents’ unbudging disapproval isn’t abnormal. Frankly, it accurately depicts most Asian parents’ negative view of Hollywood: unrealistic and unsustainable. Although the chances of becoming established are “one in one billion”, the chances of an Asian American earning paltry respect on screen is slimmer than none. But the numbers don’t lie, because, after a 25-year hiatus, Warner Brothers has finally produced an all Asian cast movie: Crazy Rich Asians.

Movies have always been my source of comfort, but watching Crazy Rich Asians was like watching the Asian Avengers on screen: epic and inspiring. As a first-generation American, CRA immediately stuck out because Rachel(the main character) was also a first generation American. But most importantly, Rachel reminded her audience that customs can’t bridle your passion. For most of elementary school, most kids thought Asians were some sort of “kung fu madman” or “Math wizard” because our reputation had been a byproduct of Hollywood stereotypes. Similarly, Eleanor believes that Rachel isn’t “good enough” for her son because she comes from a working-class family. Free-spirited as she is, Rachel refuses to let class determine who she is because she had this unhesitant willpower to chase her dreams--even if tradition was a significant obstacle.

Another iconic scene was Rachel’s entrance into her first “rich” party. Ahhh, just thinking about it brings back the chills. It was like watching naive Cinderella maneuver her way through the ball. Intricate Entrance Gate. Night Party. Luxurious Car. Music. Neon Lights. Luxury Cars. Heels. Handbags. Designer Dresses. Professional Chefs. Seafood. Elegant Women. Vibrant Colors. CRA’s golden portrayal of lavish party tugs on its audience’s heartstrings as people begin to realize that those stereotypes are false. Many people believed that all Asians live inside an academic shell, but that’s not true. Because CRA exposed many of the flaws and customs of Asian culture, I finally felt represented in America. For most Asians who’ve watched this movie, CRA’s character development and setting made us feel part of it. For the first time we watched Asian characters develop, we watched actors speak in our native language, we watched Gemma Chan and Constance Wu wow us with their jaw-dropping beauty, we watched the cast tell a story with a legitimate conflict, and we watched actors who looked like us prove that race doesn’t determine your actions.

Now, I get that I’m a junior and my number one priority should be college. But it’s not because I want to dodge the SAT attempt acting, I want to act because I’m interested in it. Honestly, it’s so frustrating when you really want to pursue your passions but hold yourself back because “there are not enough job opportunities for you”. Quite frankly, the reason why Asians are so hesitant to pursue the arts is that we are underrepresented. Currently, Asian Americans have the highest rates of college and having a law, medicine and doctorate degree, yet we are still not adequately represented in the public eye. When Asian American kids are asked “What do you want to be when you grow up?”, they shouldn’t shut out a certain field because they’re Asian. So to see the powerful cast of CRA cover Time and Entertainment--unreal. There are no words that I could fashion for you to understand the importance of Asian American representation because when I see those faces printed on billboards and catalogs, I’m encouraged to do the same.

In 2016, Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith decided to boycott the Oscars because of the lack of African American nominees would cast a shadow of discouragement amongst the African American community. Unfortunately, the Asian American actors/actresses don't have that opportunity to boycott the Oscars, because most aren’t cast in movies--even if the lead is Asian. It’s ridiculous to think that after 60+ years, Asians are still struggling to use their voices in a country that boasts diversity. Fortunately, the mighty cast of CRA is fighting for our overdue place in Hollywood. Now, when Asian children, teens, and adults watch CRA, they can finally see people who have similar backgrounds break the unreachable glass ceiling. With that being said, the cast of CRA has opened the once-closed door for Asians. No longer will Asians back down because of their race, but they will rise up as ambassadors proving that you can achieve your dreams.

As an Asian American, I’m honored to witness Constance Wu’s Golden Globe nomination. Her endless passion and zealous fire represent the fight that is to come. Up until I was 13, I’ve been ashamed of my heritage because I wanted to fit in. But only now, can I truly understand the importance of taking pride in my culture. It isn’t pride that drives competition, but the pride that pushes me to become an ambassador for the Asian American Community. An all Asian cast, a RomCom, and fantastic Asian designers make the job horizon limitless for Asians, but it reminds its audience that #representationmatters.


The author's comments:

Hi!  I'm Megan and Asian American representation is a very important cause for me.  It would be amazing if you could publish this article because I feel as if the world needs to understand the importance of it.  Thank you for your time!

Megan Tang