And Love is Not a Choice..? | Teen Ink

And Love is Not a Choice..?

January 28, 2019
newest_member_of_tbhc SILVER, Salem, Ohio
8 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."


What is sexuality, and how exactly do we end up with it? Are we born with it? Is it a choice? Does society choose for us (or rather, force)? These questions are part of why sexuality is so confusing.

 

“Girls love girls and boys, and love is not a choice,” the famous words of Brendon Urie in his song Girls/Girls/Boys. For me, sexuality was definitely not a choice. I didn’t wake up and decide to be pansexual. I discovered who I loved, much like everyone else, and that may take you two months, or your entire life. However, I think society also has an impact on many people.


Though sexuality is not a choice, you CAN choose to hide it. Today’s society is difficult because you never know who will accept you, or make your life miserable because of who you are. Some people live in areas where being anything other than straight is frowned upon. They know who they are, and who they’re attracted to, but they’re too afraid to be proud of it, and so they hide it. Understandably so, as some places are worse than others. How is it fair that society forces these people to hide their true selves in order to stay safe? It’s not.

 

Going forward, the world needs to be more accepting of everyone (ha, wouldn’t that be nice), violence needs to stop, and seriously, the world would start to be much better if we all took off our rose-colored glasses. It’s time we took a stand to issues like this, and we can’t do that when we can’t see them.


The author's comments:

I'm just passionate about the LGBTQ+ community. <3