Teenage Depression and the Signs | Teen Ink

Teenage Depression and the Signs

By lizzymessineo BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
lizzymessineo BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Suicide is the third leading cause of death for people aged 15-24. Adolescent depression is a problem in the United States and it needs to be recognized and addressed as soon as possible, before it’s too late. Teenagers who are struggling with depression, no matter what kind of depression it is, will go through many different types of symptoms. Teens with depression will go through behavioral and emotional changes. Some teens may even be using substances to try and fix the way they feel. It is so important for parents to be aware of these symptoms so they can help their child. It is so important for teenagers to receive help if they are struggling emotionally, physically, and socially. It will benefit so many people around them and show that it is important to be happy and to feel wanted and needed in this world.

First, there are emotional changes that a teen will go through. These changes consist of, feelings of hopelessness and emptiness, an ongoing sense that the life ahead is bleak or grim, a loss in interest for things that they used to love doing. For example, if they used to be in a club or did a sport and a parent sees them not being as interested as they were or if they completely stopped playing/ doing what they used to. These are very obvious statements that the teen is making and parents should talk to their child as soon as possible and get help. There are many other emotional changes like, distancing themselves from family and friends. Having an irritable attitude towards people or things is also a big sign that your teenager is struggling.

Behavioral changes are the next type of symptoms. Sure, the teenager is going through normal teenager situations but if it is extreme, talk to them. Watch for oversleeping or undersleeping this is very important to look for with the teen. Another symptom is failing in school and many absences. Too add, many people are familiar with teens or people harming themselves, but some may not be as noticeable as you may seem. Parents will usually look at your arms or legs for cut marks or burn marks, but some teens excessively pierce themselves or try and tattoo themselves. It is a different way to self harm, one could say. Teens will also turn to substances to try and numb their pain.

Teenagers are known to experiment with drugs and alcohol at the highschool age but if a parent notices frequent use of alcohol or drugs they should have a talk with their teenager. Some teenagers will use cigarettes, vapes, marijuana, alcohol, and other pill drugs. Teens can be very sneaky with these because they feel that they absolutely need them and they will do whatever they can to hide whatever they have. Drug use and depression usually come hand in hand so if you are sensing that your child is depressed, ask them about any drug use.

In conclusion drug use, emotional changes and behavioral changes are common amongst teens who are clinically depressed. Teens with depression will go through behavioral and emotional changes. Some teens may even be using substances to try and fix the way they feel. It is so important for parents to be aware of these symptoms so they can help their child. It is extremely important for parents to know what is normal and what isn’t.

This piece is important to me because it can help so many kids and parents.