Growing to a voter | Teen Ink

Growing to a voter

October 28, 2019
By CarterTomich GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
CarterTomich GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As I sit at the front patiently waiting for my mother to vote, I watch businessmen, teachers, and doctors walk by. Wishing I could be like the powerful man in the suit or the police officer in uniform. I want to vote.

Having fake elections with friends in middle school, deciding what game we will play showing us how our opinions and what each one of us think can make an impact. Having elections in class that gave us jobs that we pretended was the equivalent to being major. I want to vote.  

Drinking my morning coffee watching as the news on in, learning who is running for president or who wants to be the new governor. Slowly eliminating the ones who I like or not, I realize that I want my opinion to be apart of the final outcome. I want to vote.

Hearing adults argue and debate about voting growing up taught me that it’s not a decision to take lightly, and one that could impact the country for the next four years. Parents showing me just how important it was, making sure will I vote because everyone’s vote counts towards a better and brighter future. I want to vote.

As I slowly reach 18 I get closer and closer to voting knowing the day will come of celebration when I can make my first vote in our country. Knowing one day I will get to wear the red, white, and blue sticker that says “I voted,” walking around proudly showing it off. Wearing the sticker as if it’s the medal of honor or the Olympic gold. I want to vote.

Knowing that people walking by will treat me equal to a businessman, teacher, or doctor. Knowing I will be a part of the country and be a person who makes decisions on how we live, I want to vote.