Thankful For My Rights | Teen Ink

Thankful For My Rights

October 28, 2019
By belle2020 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
belle2020 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am thankful to be playing with dolls in my living room with my sister. My parents come home later because they stopped to vote, but I can’t do that, so I carry on with my life. I eat dinner and go to bed. I dream about Thanksgiving and Christmas and their festivities. Election Day is no holiday to six year old me.


I am thankful to be with my brother and see where he works. I am amazed by the sizes and types of planes. I feel proud walking around the military base with my older brother. I understand his job now that I am ten years old. His work is interesting to me. The T.V. is on the news channel and I overhear discussions about the upcoming election. It is odd to hear how much the election will affect our service men and women.


I am thankful to learn about the upcoming election in social studies. Now that I’m fifteen years old, it’s easier to understand. My class discusses how the election will affect us, our families, and our school. I think about that conversation I heard at the military base when I was ten.


I am thankful to be with my brother after three years of him being in Japan. I am seventeen and happier than a republican when Trump got elected. I forgot about the conversation I heard when I was ten years old until my mom starts talking politics. I ask my brother about the election and he explains to me how the election is so important for the military because the president is the commander-in-chief.


I am almost eighteen and I think about how my vote affects everyone around me. My vote means more than just a check in a box; it means devoting my help to everybody in America. I am thankful to vote.


Today, I’m thankful it’s voting day. I’m finally old enough to vote, and I’m eager to get to those polls.


The author's comments:

I think that voting is important for everyone who is old enough. Each individual person gets to make their own decision and every single person in this country that can vote has a chance to voice their opinion.