The Journey | Teen Ink

The Journey

July 1, 2021
By addisonevans BRONZE, Natchitoches, Louisiana
addisonevans BRONZE, Natchitoches, Louisiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever wondered what it’s like to get somewhere and feel lost? I don’t mean in a realistic, “Google Maps took me to the wrong place” type of way. I mean in a way that puts you in a position of becoming a better person. I’ve learned in my 13 years of life that the journey isn’t all about the destination. I’ve often been put in situations where I feel like how I’ve been treated or what I’m sacrificing won’t benefit me in the future. Though I wonder if those times are really the ones where I have an opportunity to grow--- to see myself become better each day. 

I haven’t ever really stopped and realized that the moments I’ve laughed and been my happiest were moments I should’ve enjoyed more. As thoughts replay in my head of memories I love, it becomes more clear that those times are what life is really about. Being a person who is so focused and determined, it’s no surprise that my goals are my main priority. That may sound all organized and adult-like, but I should be grateful for the people who have come into my life. I should look at those little moments as something bigger. I should recognize them as gifts I’ve been given, as experiences that helped me to get where I’m going, not experiences that were simply just there as I grew. There’s a fine line between the two. 

Without the people in my life, there wouldn’t be a journey to go on. All of the people I’ve ever met who have encouraged me and uplifted me are the ones who have made me brave and strong enough to make it to the light at the end of the tunnel. My math tutor, as crazy as it sounds, is one person who has never given up on me. As much as I dislike math, he always encourages me and wants me to reach my goals. For me, going to Harvard is my “journey.” It’s always been my main priority and my focus in life. Though sometimes I wonder if it shouldn’t be. 

Life isn’t just about Harvard or all of your goals; it’s about the people and ideas and memories that helped you get there. I like to use the analogy of going on a walk. What if you saw a beautiful sunset on this walk? It would be rewarding to say that you went on a walk-- that you accomplished something. The sunset, though, was just a part of the journey. It wasn’t your main focus or why you went on the walk, but it’s something you saw that made your walk worth it. It encouraged you to continue walking, despite the challenges you might face ahead.  No one works hard to face criticism or skepticism; they work hard to do well. No one wants to have a difficult journey but if they do, it’s up to them to acknowledge and value their surroundings. 

When one of my favorite singers,Taylor Swift, won the BRITs Global Icon Award this year, she said, “You have to look around you everyday and take note of the people who have believed in you and never stop appreciating them for it.” Taylor has been extremely successful in her career but she didn’t automatically become famous. She had an unbelievable work ethic and persevered even after being told hateful things, especially at such a young age. Without having gone through what she has, she would’ve never been as strong as she is today. When things don’t happen your way, you have to turn the situation around and find the good.   Whether it’s going to Harvard or going on a walk, learn to love the path that takes you where you’re going. 


The author's comments:

My name is Addison and I've always loved writing. I'm a very goal oriented person so it can be hard to enjoy something unless I've completed it. I wrote this piece to encourage teenagers to love the small moments in life.