Letter to The Editor Westin Brock | Teen Ink

Letter to The Editor Westin Brock

October 21, 2021
By westinbrockstudent BRONZE, Roanoake, Texas
westinbrockstudent BRONZE, Roanoake, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


Dear Editor,

The Punishment for Drunk Driving should be changed to a more fitting and righteous punishment considering the punishment for homicide and drunk driving are close to or even sometimes exactly the same when the crime committed is more different than you think.
According to several authors and the Federal Bureau Of Investigation. ( FBI ), the average person who is caught driving drunk has already gotten away with it 87 times. Do you think that someone who has commited homicide has done it 87 times before getting caught? Probably not.

You may think that this is just because there are young drivers who have done it a lot because they just started driving. But America has the highest age limit for drinking in the world and yet 31% of the road accidents are linked to drunk driving.

On the other hand, there is a organization that prevents drunk driving before it starts, the MADD

( Mother Against Drunk Driving) by catching and helping repeated drunk drivers before a tragedy or death happens. But we should have more than one organization that prevents drunk driving.

"Drunk driving." Britannica School, Encyclopædia Britannica, 7 Jan. 2020. school.eb.com/levels/middle/article/drunk-driving/321841. Accessed 23 Sep. 2021._____________________________


"Drunk driving." Britannica School, Encyclopædia Britannica, 7 Jan. 2020. school.eb.com/levels/middle/article/drunk-driving/321841. Accessed 23 Sep. 2021.

"Homicide." Britannica School, Encyclopædia Britannica, 12 May. 2020. school.eb.com/levels/middle/article/homicide/40889. Accessed 23 Sep. 2021.

 "Drunk driving." Britannica School, Encyclopædia Britannica, 7 Jan. 2020. school.eb.com/levels/middle/article/drunk-driving/321841. Accessed 23 Sep. 2021.


The author's comments:

My name is Westin Brock and I go to medlin middle school. My teacher reccomended me to do this.