Why Won't Italy Let North Africans Into Their Country? | Teen Ink

Why Won't Italy Let North Africans Into Their Country?

November 22, 2021
By dribotta1 GOLD, Tirana, Other
dribotta1 GOLD, Tirana, Other
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes I'll start a sentence, and I don't even know where it's going. I just hope I find it along the way. Like an improv conversation. An improversation. " - Michael Gary Scott.


A couple of years ago, Italy declared that they would stop letting in people from North Africa into their country, and their reason was that they had already taken too many people in and there wasn’t enough space (untrue). In that same year, there was a video on the internet that became viral, showing a man drowning in the waters in front of Italy because they wouldn't let him in. That man died. The fact that the government doesn’t let people drowning in front of them inside their country, just shows that they are the most unreasonable people on earth. There are several reasons to why these people leave Africa, and I will explain them throughout the course of this essay. 


The major reasons are war, poverty, and natural disasters. There are constant wars in their countries. Unemployment is a huge cause of poverty and for families, this is something that they must try to get as far away as possible, so they don’t get hurt or lose someone important to them. The solution would be to take a boat and go to the nearest country (Italy) to “reset” their lives. That’s what they did until a couple of years ago when the Italian government decided not to take them in anymore. This was a huge problem for them because when they arrived, they wouldn’t let them in.  


So far, Italy has received around 500,000 migrants into their country. Andrea Costa, the leader of the Baobab Experience, which is an organization that helped over 70,000 migrants with food and financial advice. There are many houses in Italy for kids from Northern Africa that lost their parents while coming to Italy and are kept in these houses where people live to take care of them, feed them, and educate them as well. The Baobab experience started since the Italian authorities didn’t organize anything for all those migrants. Articles suggest that there are still a lot of migrants that when they entered Italy, many of them were found in parking lots and alleys with nothing to live for anymore.  


The ones that do make it into Italy try to go to northern wealthier countries to seek better opportunities for work and having a better and easier life. A little hillside town about 500 miles from Rome became a sort of “launching pad” for the ones that can make it until there. They usually try to get them across the French border even though they are very often stopped by the French police.  


In conclusion, I personally do not think that this should be the case with northern African migrants. I think that we should at least let them in and sign a deal with other countries in Europe, to welcome some of these migrants so that they have the possibility to start new and better lives. The fact that they don’t even help them when they drown is one of the worst things a human being could do to other humans. If people really care about this subject, they could start protesting to the government so that their voices are heard, and something could happen, and we could help all the migrants.