The Conflict Between Russia and Ukraine | Teen Ink

The Conflict Between Russia and Ukraine

March 31, 2022
By alysonkiener BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
alysonkiener BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Conflict Between Russia and Ukraine:

On February 24, Russia invaded the country of Ukraine. Russian President Putin is focused on earning back the respect Russia once had. By taking over Ukraine, Russia can assert its dominance as a major world power. 


Russian forces occupied a Ukrainian nuclear plant. Russian troops seized the plant and caused a fire but luckily no radiation was set off. The fire at Zaporizhzhia plant was extinguished early on but that didn’t stop fear from spreading throughout the continent. 


Many Russian and Ukrainian citizens fear for their lives through this tragic time. Russian President Putin said Friday he had "no bad intention" toward neighboring countries but warned against doing anything that might "escalate the situation."


With the invasion intensifying each passing day, Putin has increased his intense assault on Ukraine. Russian forces made their way through the south of Ukraine, worsening the conflict between the two countries.

Recently, tensions between Russia and Ukraine have risen. With Russia declaring war on Ukraine, the situation has rapidly intensified. European leaders have rejected Putin’s demands for countries to pay for natural gas. 

 

Ukrainian officials have dispatched a convoy of 45 buses on Thursday to evacuate citizens trapped in the port of Mariupol after Russia decided on a cease-fire.

 

The following hours after, a deputy prime minister, Iryna Vereshchuk, said in a statement on Telegram that the convoy had been stopped by Russian forces in the coastal city of Berdyansk. It was not made clear how long the convoy would be detained.

 

With tensions rising each day, people around the world are left to wonder about the next steps that will be taken. In addition to this, more than 25,000 homes are already in need of repair and President Zelensky is having a hard time keeping up. He promised that the government would “return to our people everything that the occupiers destroyed.” We can only hope that things will settle down soon and that the two countries will make peace.


The author's comments:

Russia and Ukraine's issues.