True Words By Our Old Pal | Teen Ink

True Words By Our Old Pal

By shrishgs SILVER, Varanasi, Other
shrishgs SILVER, Varanasi, Other

Be the change you wish to see in this world.

Non violence, a situation in which someone avoids fighting or using physical force, especially when trying to make any change. I want to say that I feel like I have heard this since I was born and I have heard it like a million times but now is the time when I feel like I understand its true meaning. Although I am a bit embarrassed to admit that it never occurred to me before because it’s not the first time that the world is going through some crisis caused by us humans which for sure would be fixed by us too. Even though the damage done would give nothing but bruises for eternity, somehow our faith in violence grows stronger everyday.

It now hits me every time I think of these battles, as well as the ones we've read about in our history books. My vocabulary does not encompasses how I feel. Perhaps turning 18 has significance, because I now feel things more deeply than ever before, and I am devastated by every barbaric event that has occurred. I can't alter the past, but the fact that I'm unable to stop the evil that happens every day crushes my heart. If You think that violence holds power to make someone do something than maybe you have yet to witness the power of voice. I believe that the most powerful tool we humans possess is the ability to speak and express ourselves. Through that you can change the world and make it a better place.

I want to do something, as should we all, and that's why I'm using the power of words, I'm using my voice because it is the only thing that can shine light on even the darkest of the days, so we must not take it easy. The ability to express how we feel about things is our most powerful tool, and it can and will change the way people think. And because we are the product of our thoughts, if we can change the way people think, we can change the way people act, and isn't that what we need, a little change in our actions?

The farther we go into the causes of wars, the more ridiculous it seems. I'm curious as to how it all began; if it began with two people, what went so wrong that we became our worst selves. For the sake of our children, why can't we correct this, why can't we entirely forsake the concept of violence? Whatever the purpose or size of the gathering may be, it all began with two people.

We might have easily avoided all of this and evolved into peace-loving humans, but isn't following the advice of an old man too much work? Well it shouldn’t be because most potent weapon is nonviolence, not a gun. If you truly want to make a difference, you must make your voices heard because you can't make a change if you keep your mouth shut, so speak up ladies and gentlemen. It’s time when you must be the change you wish to see in this world.

I am Shrishti from India and I am a student and a writer. My articles get published here in Indian Newspaper. In the above article the old pal is Mahatma Gandi who gave the concept of Non-violence.