Christmas | Teen Ink

Christmas

September 9, 2009
By Michael Barnett BRONZE, Lebanon, Connecticut
Michael Barnett BRONZE, Lebanon, Connecticut
3 articles 2 photos 5 comments

Fifty years ago Christmas was a holiday that everyone looked forward to not so much for the tradition of exchanging gifts but as a religious celebration. It was a time when families would gather to spend quality time together and maybe even share a Christmas goose, when the most extravagant gift might be a Red Rider BB gun. Today it has been twisted into being focused on materialistic value.

In the last fifty years Christmas has become a celebration of over indulgence upon which greedy corporations thrive. If you were to read a Christmas letter of any child you would find a lengthy list demanding expensive toys and electronics with words like “I want” and “Give me.” Why has this sad time come about? It is all effective marketing my friends. The brain washing begins at an early age. Media oriented children are watching the “Tele” when BAM a snazzy bright and colorful commercial with a catchy jingle pops up. These children are instantly hypnotized by the latest fad in Hot Wheels or what have you and make a B-line to add said product to the Christmas list. This trend continues through life with the products in question changing and gaining in intrinsic value. Defenders of Christmas will argue that the concept of Santa Clause is important in teaching children generosity, but the number of those who actually believe in the jolly icon of the holiday have become few and sparse between while the icon himself now is more suited for advertisements.
What is in it for the “Man” if the holiday indulgence continues? Profit, so much of it in fact that a day is named after it (“Black Friday.”) In this way the white-collar of the world have transformed the once great holiday of Christmas into a profit that has destroyed its true meaning. “Peace on earth, good will towards man.”