Creativity: Self-Expression or Mental Well-Being? | Teen Ink

Creativity: Self-Expression or Mental Well-Being?

By ally03 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
ally03 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

I hesitate to start my essay with a quote. Is it too cliché? Why use someone else’s words when they are obviously going to upstage my own? But, what the hell? Those kinds of rules are only holding me back at this point in my writing career.

The author, Edward De Bono once said, “There is no doubt that creativity is the most important human resource of all. Without creativity, there would be no progress, and we would be forever repeating the same patterns.” This quote, oh how I wish it were mine, just says it perfectly. Creativity, in one way or another, is behind every success. Think of everything that would be missing in our world if someone, in that particular moment, had not been creative. My point being, creative thought matters. It really matters. When creativity ceases to exist, there is bound to be a consequence.

The worst occurrence that could mentally happen to an individual is a loss of creativity. Well, maybe suicide is the worst. Or maybe it’s Erotophobia. I’m not sure, but that’s beside the point. A loss of creativity has recently happened to me. And it sucks! That’s how bad it is; I can’t even think of a better adjective.

I’ve estimated it has been about four months that I haven’t been my usual, creative self. Unfortunately, I have let this absence take a toll on my state of well-being. I have since been diagnosed (whatever that the hell that means) with depression. My relationships have been deteriorating. And I’m just now realizing the root of the problem? That’s four wasted months! Not exactly centuries, but at least a couple decades if you convert to I-want-to-leave-home-teenage-angst years.

I know that I have to start feeling creative again. It’s easy to say, but how do I rekindle that extraordinary feeling? How do I, again, feel the pulsing energy of creating something? Can this even be revived? Even if it’s not a masterpiece, they rarely are, how do I start feeling like my creativity matters again?

My first breakthrough came when I realized it was my problem, not my environment’s. Next, I will start with trying to write again. That usually leads to other projects. Granted, there is no guarantee that my problems will magically be lifted away. But it’s a start.

A realization. My attempt to make sense of things. I have no idea why I'm submitting it, but I am.