Justin Bieber vs. David Archuleta: Who is a better role model? | Teen Ink

Justin Bieber vs. David Archuleta: Who is a better role model?

November 30, 2010
By Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta


There’s two guys in the music world who have gotten a lot of hype over the past few years. David Archuleta and Justin Bieber, both once living a normal life, quickly shot to fame almost out of no where. David Archuleta was runner-up on the seventh season of American Idol and has three high-ranking studio albums. Justin Bieber was a youtube sensation discovered by Usher, now a music sensation. They both have huge fan bases with their many albums, tours, and both even have best selling books. Now, if you asked the Beliebers which one of them is the better musician, they’d say Justin. And if you asked the Arch Angels, they’d without a doubt say David. Though they both really can’t be compared with their music, they can with their heroism.

Not too long ago, Justin Bieber was just an ordinary guy, making youtube videos of him singing and playing the guitar. Never did he think he’d end up where he is today, with such a strong following from his fans. But does their following go anywhere past his music? Though Justin worked hard to get where he is, and he donates to charities and has his new inspirational song “Pray”, has he ever done anything that really hit people hard and made them admire him? Though he’s done all of valuable things, it’s been known that he also acts out, swears, and possibly even punched a boy in the face. Do his good qualities even out with his faults?

David Archuleta was too just an ordinary guy with little confidence and no self-esteem, but a love for singing. When he finally did have enough self-assurance to actually try and work on music, he was diagnosed with vocal paralysis. He had felt like music was just a thing of the past, it was that one piece missing from him, until one day, he felt a strong, “unexplainable” feeling to audition for American Idol, and that’s how he got where he is today. David worked hard all throughout his life to get where he is, doing numerous singing competitions while battling his strong hatred for his voice. But that didn’t stop him. David is the perfect example of working hard and achieving your dreams. Not to mention the numerous charities he’s involved with, plus his unshakable faith and strong positivity, which he tries to share with people so that they too can achieve their goals in life and be happy. David’s influential music and motivational quotes make him an inspiration to many people, which is why David has such a devoted fan base.

So to answer the question “Who is a better role model?”, I think it’s pretty obvious that the answer is David. David has done a lot more for people than just flipping his hair. He’s truly inspired people to do what’s right with the strong impact he’s had. Though you can admire some of Justin’s qualities, there’s a lot more about David that makes him a true role model, and even a hero in his fans’ eyes.


The author's comments:
This is me trying to be as unbiased as I can and let people know which one is a better role model. I can't help it if my favorite wins ;)

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 89 comments.


Jeremiah said...
on Jan. 3 2011 at 7:26 am
I realy agree with you ,two, and to all the comments for David.David's really a role model.he inspires his people through his melody,his compassion to people around and his love of God.Let's go for david!

on Jan. 3 2011 at 7:08 am
 NO DOUBT i AGREE... BECAUSE HOW CAN JUSTiN BiEBER BE A ROLE MODEL WHEN HE WAS SO LiBERATED LiKE KISSiNG ON PUBLiC WiTH HiS GiRLFRiEND.DUH ... LOOK DAViD.. HE DOESNT DO WHAT JUSTiN DiD .. DAViD KNOWS THE RiGHT PLACE AND TiME FOR THAT ... AND DAViD HAS SO MANY CHARiTiES HELPiNG .. THATS WHY i REALL LOVE HiM SO MUCH . :)♥

on Jan. 3 2011 at 2:53 am
Sorry I made a spelling error in my last comment. I mean't to say that David is an inspirational role model. :)

on Jan. 3 2011 at 2:45 am
I absolutely agree with this article! David is such an inspirational rode model to young and old alike. His humbleness, positivity and determination just shine throughout. He is just filled with goodness and his music reflects his glowing personality. I'm a fan of David's from New Zealand where there is a dominant Justin Bieber fanbase. Good for Justin that he's popular and doing well, but David really changed my life through is music and through the great person that he his. Whenever I listen to him sing, it's like I've been revived. His profound and positive attitude towards life, his faith and his grounded-ness just lift up spirits. I'm so grateful to be his fan. He has motivated me to do a lot of things that I once thought I couldn't. I'll always follow his values and keep supporting him. David is incredibly awesome.

on Jan. 3 2011 at 1:37 am
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

Yes I didn't eevn think of those things. It's true David gets riducled for things like that, while Bieber seems to be able to do whatever he wants and people still love him. It's more like that saying, "I'm right, the world's all wrong". David does the right things, the world just isn't smart enough to see it.

on Jan. 3 2011 at 1:36 am
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

I think it's hard to compare the two with their talent, but I don't think it's that hard to compare the two's impact on people.

on Jan. 3 2011 at 1:33 am
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

I wasn't trying to compare their talent at all. that's not what this was about. It was to try and show people who the better role model is. Lots of young people admire both of these guys, and I was just trying to say that liking David would probably be more beneficial. Being a role model is too a big part of the entertainment business, and from an unbias point of view, David seems to be the better role model.

on Jan. 3 2011 at 1:32 am
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

Nellie, I complete agree with all of that :)

Kat's Meow said...
on Jan. 3 2011 at 12:07 am
I recently saw a clip of Bieber on Graham Norton, a British chat show.  When asked about all the screaming girls, he said that he'd become used to it.  All I could think was that David Archuleta would never take his fans for granted like that, plus he'd never be so smug.  On an interview recently for Cambio, David talked about how important it was for him to be a good role model to young people.  I found that very refreshing, especially when you hear so many celebrities and athletes these days complain about it being unfair for the public to hold them accountable for their actions, even while they enjoy reaping the benefits their celebrity status brings them.

Nellie1983 said...
on Jan. 3 2011 at 12:03 am
I completely agree with your assessment but actually to go a little further. David is the most humble guy you'll ever meet. He shows and voices his appreciation for his fans, his family, and his friends. His faith and beliefs are strong and it is because of them that he believes he has a voice at all to be able to sing. He has said more than once that he likes to see how music touches people's lives. His music has touched so many lives, mine included. There really are no words to describe Archie fandom. We are a different breed apart from most fans. Most of us do charity work because of David. His words and his actions cause so many of us to want to better ourselves. I am not a fan of Justin but I won't say anything against him because David recognizes that Justin is talented so I should follow his example and do the same. David really is the best role model for any fan for so many different reasons, and the amazing voice, well that's just an added bonus!!!

LyLuvMusic said...
on Jan. 2 2011 at 10:34 pm
This article tells all the truth! Justin is just a hot pop sensation when David is actually a true artist. It is so unfair that David is not as popular as Justin. David's music speaks meaningful things to people when Justin's can't. And David is so much more humble than Justin. I think Justin should learn a lot from David! I'm a huge fan of David and forever will be.

SuperBuknoy said...
on Jan. 2 2011 at 9:41 pm
I look up to David Archuleta. I'm glad others "get" him, too!

on Jan. 2 2011 at 9:37 pm

Justin is a nice looking kid with a sweet voice who has been thrown into the deep end of the adult world and commanded to swim.  I believe he is doing his best with what he has.  If people find qualities in him worth emulating then that is wonderful.

As for David, his goodness simply shines out of him.  Just watch him talk or sing and tell me if you don't see him glowing from within! lol Anyone taking any time to get to know David will be immediately struck by the genuine, sincere, respectful and kind person he is.  

For me there is no comparison, musically or as a role model.  David wins my vote everytime.  That is not to take anything away from Justin, as I said he's a kid trying to make his way in an adult world.  On the other hand, like Paula said on American idol 'David is an old soul', so perhaps he was ahead of the game to begin with...?


on Jan. 2 2011 at 9:07 pm
I love them both, but after reading David's memior, I was hooked on him. I read Justin's memior a while later... And was suprised at the things he said.They're both great, but i strongly agree with this articl!!!! and David is a much better role model.at least he doesnt go on chasing girls and swearing. but no hate toward the Biebs. I was obsessed with him. NEW OBSESSION ALERT: im an ArchieAngel now:)

on Jan. 2 2011 at 6:51 pm

It is so easy to see why David Archuleta is so happy all the time!  He gives so unselfishly to others! The time he spends giving to various charities is amazing.   I am an older fan also... who is inspired by David and how he lives his life.  Everyone can learn something from him.   He is a leader, without even trying . He just leads by example.   He spreads so much joy and happiness to others just by being himself.

He  lives his life with such beautiful meaning and purpose. He never compromises his values....to get ahead.   I have 4 grandchildren who are loving David's music.  They are young yet, but not too young to hear and experience David's heart as well.  The Music Industry is very forturnate to have a person of David's talent and character....to help change the direction that Music is going.  David's beautiful voice and heart bring such love to others.


TrudyFOD said...
on Jan. 2 2011 at 4:07 pm
I can only say that since David Archuleta has come into my life -- I have looked at life differently and now look for ways to help others rather than always benifiting myself. I ama huge fan and supporter of David. He is just a very special person who has the voice of an angel. He inspires me daily with his positive messages through his music or his tweets on twitter. I have contributed to many of David's charities - Make a Wish, Invisible Children, etc. David's fans are always coming together for many of David's causes. I am an older fan and can say that no other artist has ever affected my heart & soul like David Archuleta. He is such an inspiration to everyone!

sunnyd said...
on Jan. 2 2011 at 3:32 pm
David Archuleta is such an amazingly talented person! He is a good role model to people of all ages because he is involved in numerous charities (Children's Miracle Network, Rising Star Network, Stand Up to Cancer, Haiti, etc). He does a lot of concerts and contributes the entire amount to charities. He is sweet, humble, down to earth and one of the most positive people out there. He is beautiful inside and out and that is why his fans adore him!!!

joyluck said...
on Jan. 2 2011 at 2:05 pm
I am with David Arculeta all the way. He is a genuinely kind and giving person. His work with many charities, such as Susan Komen Breast Cancer, Children's Miracle Network, Stand up to Cancer just to name a few are charities he has not only given his valuble time to, but proceeds from shows and outward support in his vlogs, tweets, etc. A try role model for today's youth. In addition, a minor detail--- the guy is just plain talented and is an incredible live stage performer. He doesn't need back up dancers, loud music, pyro technics to sound good. Just him, the band, the piano, or not music as all. He's plain and simple amazing in and out.

on Jan. 2 2011 at 1:29 pm
David Archuleta is a positive role model.  David is who we want our daughters to marry, our sons to be friends with and to be the neighbor next door.  David doesn't need a swagger coach like Justin - David has his own ArchuSwagger!  Has Justin Bieber ever stopped and helped neighbors rake their leaves even though he had an appointment to get to?  David Archuleta has.  Oh, and David Archuleta has never angrily pushed a fan like Justin Bieber did during a concert.  That's what security guards are for.  I rest my case for David Archuleta.

Sweetcrush said...
on Jan. 2 2011 at 1:17 pm
David by far a better role model. I love this article, so true, David does a lot more with his time then flipping his hair, his earned time and money will show you how much he donates over Justin. He is very much concerned about others then himself, I think a is a big difference with Justin. Most of all David can actually sing. To me Justin is all an act. David is the real deal. David is the role model for today and tomoorow.