Always Be Prepared | Teen Ink

Always Be Prepared

April 28, 2012
By collegegirladventures GOLD, Mequon, Wisconsin
collegegirladventures GOLD, Mequon, Wisconsin
10 articles 8 photos 307 comments

Favorite Quote:
A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep.

~Salman Rushdie


It is a very smart idea to be prepared for each and every circumstance. You never know what may come across your track. So often you think that you are or will be okay without something, and then run into some situation in which you wish you had prepared for.

On Sunday night my family and I watched some TV show. This man named Theo was telling about his story of how he wasn’t prepared for the worst.

Theo and his friends were in the outback. They, especially Theo, were on the search for gold. Before they go out, they always take their GPS so if they get lost, it will guide them to their jeep. Also, Theo takes his medicine for his heart. If there is a day when he doesn’t take his medicine, his heart will start beating uncontrollably.

One day when they were about to go gold searching, Theo said that he was already familiar part of the outback. Therefore they did not take their GPS with them. . . .

Theo was enjoying his gold searching so much, little did he realize how far away from the jeep he was. So he made his way back to the jeep. The surroundings he had claimed he was familiar with, started to look unrecognizable. Theo could count on the direction of the sun to help him find his way, but the gray clouds filled the sky, and it was getting close to dusk.

It was now night time, and still no jeep. It grew to temperatures below freezing. Theo had thin-material clothes on, with no blanket or jacket to keep him warm. He had to find shelter soon. Eventually he found an empty hole in a tree, so he stayed in there for the night.

Five days passed by since then. Theo didn’t have his medication, so his heart was acting wildly. There was no food or water in the outback, leaving him starving and dehydrated. He had to go through more nights finding shelter and trying to stay warm. Worse of all, he was totally lost, and the people back at the camp were very worried about him, trying any method in order to find him, dead or alive.

Theo was sure he was going to die. He found a big rock with some space under it. He said this was going to be his death spot. It was not long after that, however, that he actually saw a jeep driving toward him. He couldn’t believe it: he was actually going to stay alive! It was like a miracle sent from above.

Imagine being stuck in the middle of the dry outback for five days: no hint of where you are, nothing to keep you warm, no food or water to keep your strength up, and your body suffering because you didn’t have your pain medicine with you. This is exactly what happened to Theo, the outback survivor. He had gone through all of this just because he chose not to take his medicine and GPS. And because of that one decision he made, he went through the unthinkable. This is the perfect example of why you should always be ready for whatever circumstances may come your way. You never know what the future holds in store.


The author's comments:
I hope this lesson will help others to remember to always be prepared for whatever may come their way. :)