Heaven: Fact or Fiction? | Teen Ink

Heaven: Fact or Fiction?

August 25, 2012
By goldenanthems SILVER, Somerset, New Jersey
goldenanthems SILVER, Somerset, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance. We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and imperfections. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create. Evolution and all hopes for a better world rest in the fearlessness and open hearted vision of people who embrace life." - John Lennon


There fails to be authentic/ documented proof of the existence of Heaven or Hell. According to scientists, words in religious texts do not warrant the ubiquity of a divine being. Yet, there are those who believe in a higher power.

For some, proof of Heaven is of no importance. They are led by faith, not sight. Thus, faith is all they need.

Heaven is a reality for those who accept Jesus Christ as their savior. When they go to church and study the word of God, they learn what Heaven is like and how to get there.

They say that death brings immediate Heaven or Hell, depending on whether or not you believe in Jesus Christ for salvation.

According to atheists, the acceptance of a supernatural claim tends to promote cooperative social relationships. This communication demonstrates a willingness to accept. And without skepticism, there is a lack and deterioration of open-minded thinking.

They seek answers to questions that even a devoted Christian wouldn’t be able to answer. They include: 1.) God wants everyone to worship and follow him, and, if they don't, they burn in hell for all eternity. What does this type of attitude say about his character? By definition, he would be described as a tyrant. 2.) What good is it for us to have free will if the intention is for us not to use it? Sure, we can use our free will, but we will burn in hell for eternity if we do. 3.) If God is perfect and his creations perfect, why did he fail several times? He had to impose suffering upon the human race because Adam and Eve defied him by eating of the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. He had to flood the planet 1,600 years later, wiping out all but eight humans. He had to confuse human language after Nimrod and the Tower of Babel incident so that they could not effectively communicate with each other.

“There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, [and] science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works,” world-renowned scientist Stephen Hawking said during an interview with Diane Sawyer.

Hawking compared the computer to a human brain saying, “I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no Heaven or afterlife for broken-down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.”

Others need proof to believe, they need proof that is credible and valid. Ariadny, a junior in high school believes in “a god but not God”.

“[We] don’t have solid evidence that proves whether he [exists] or not. And when it comes down to it, everyone's God simply can’t all exist.”

Vicky agrees saying, “I’m Jewish and Catholic, but my parents never practiced religion with religion with me. I don’t really believe in it because I was never taught to. I don’t believe in God because I just don’t understand the reason why [we have to believe].” She continues on to say, “I don’t believe in things unless I see them proven.”

Ariadny adds on saying, “Once you’ve been through [enough] problems and prayed to something, asking for some type of sign, help, or advice and never once ‘feeling’ his presence, it dawned on me [that] there’s nothing really there. Praying to some unknown force did nothing for me, so I grew faith in myself instead.”

According to a poll done by ABC News, nearly nine out of ten people in the United States believe in Heaven and Jesus Christ.

To junior Sammi, heaven is all too real for her. “I believe if you’re a good person you’ll be rewarded. We’re all going to be united together and be given a place for our souls to be at peace.”

Agreeing with Sammi, junior Kayla says, “Heaven to me is a place that you go after you die and I believe that because it’s my religion. I am a Christian and that’s what I believe. It’s in the bible and I believe the bible is true. It wasn’t forced upon me but it was something that was presented to me when I was younger.”

Christianity was “presented” at a very impressionable age and because her parents said God is real, from that day on God was real to her. But what if it wasn’t “presented” to her at such a young age? What if Christianity was “presented” to her now, during her teenage years?

“It would take me longer to get to that point but I would still find salvation. Once you go out into the world and you develop your own ideas, it’s harder for [someone who wasn’t taught Christianity at a young age] to accept Christianity.”

According Ashley, “My parents never told me to believe in God, but my grandmother was the one who influenced my religion. But she never really forced the idea that there is a God. I started truly believing in God last year, when my grandpa survived cancer. He was diagnosed with throat and neck cancer in August of 2010. He went through a lot, he was in the ICU in the hospital for almost 2 weeks. We all thought he wasn’t going to make it. But in March 2011 he was cancer free. I think that’s a miracle...well to me and my family it was.”

Truthfully, no one really knows if Heaven exists. It is their belief in Jesus Christ along with a place for children and the good that is the foundation of the belief in Heaven. And although there is no evidence validating its presence there’s still reason to believe in it.

Still, Heaven’s existence should not be based on the opinions of others, research it and explore the different possibilities. Do you believe in what you cannot see?

“When it comes to beliefs, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, so whether you’re Christian, Athiest, or in my case Agnostic, support your ideals because if you don’t no one will,” says Ariadny.


The author's comments:
i wrote this article in response to the book, "Heaven Is Forreal". This newspaper article was written for my school newspaper.