Ledges Are For Looking | Teen Ink

Ledges Are For Looking

By monalisa3479 SILVER, La Canada, California
monalisa3479 SILVER, La Canada, California

“Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself.”
― John Green

We walked like ghosts that day, in hallways wet with tears and stained with sorrows. Shrouded in black we were literal shadows, our eyes gray, reflecting stormy clouds encompassing a mutual burden.
You were everywhere yet nowhere, ever-present yet absent, invisible . . . yet I saw you around every corner just the same. Your actions engraved our innocence, shifting our blissful stability, and concocting an unforgiving frenzy.
Sadness like this is quiet. Sorrow like this is empty. Yet each feeling has a contradiction: the silence is loud- no one can escape the sound, the emptiness is so full of explanations that never seem to fully answer the constant whirlpool of questions swirling in the minds of the traumatized, the angry, and the grieving.
Your selfless character, your kind demeanor, your teaching manner- this cannot be obstructed by your last inconsistent decision. The stagehand knows to learn by example, and I will never forget, nor will the countless that adore you, your final lesson: ledges are for looking.

This article was inspired by a true tragedy that hits all too close to home. It is my hope to anyone reading that they realize their true self-worth, and know that giving up is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Thanks for reading.