Proud to Be an American Woman | Teen Ink

Proud to Be an American Woman

November 7, 2014
By k.m.strueb GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
k.m.strueb GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

She kept her eyes down as she followed him around the streets of Saudi Arabia. She cursed the fact that women couldn’t go anywhere without a male chaperone; women couldn’t even show their faces. Her walk was another bitter reminder of the hard life of a woman. 


She passed a group of voters who were all men. The car that scooted by made her long to drive. It was hard for her here, and she longed be somewhere else, like America.


Women all around the world, especially in Saudi Arabia, are treated poorly. It took much longer to get voting rights for women in other countries than it did in America. Women all around the world long to be in America because of the opportunities. This makes me feel lucky to live in America.


A strong independent woman is the symbol of America. Women are treated with respect, but they often take it for granted. In America, women can wear whatever they want, say whatever they want, vote, get jobs, go to school and even purchase homes. Women in other countries have these options too, but often it’s more difficult and they are looked down upon. In America, a woman has even run for president. This fills me with pride and joy.


Every American woman should be proud to be American. The American woman has opportunities and choices. An American woman can obtain any job she wants. She can be free.


Unlike the unfortunate circumstances in Saudi Arabia, the women in America can act as they please. America is a fair and accepting place. There may still be some prejudice, but America is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the world.


There is no where else I would rather live--I am proud to be an American woman!